View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Many Dogs pass through many homes as a result of one problem, which if corrected early on wouldn't have escalated.
Many of these Dogs also end up deemed "dangerous" uncontrollable" etc.
In some cased an owner will turn to an instructor for help, as a last ditch effort to sort the problem.

We all KNOW that training takes time & effort, but in reality many want a quick fix, or will pass the Dog on (or worse)
In such cases one to one sessions with a trainer using the collar on a regular basis can encourage the owner into seeing the Dog can behave differently .

Sadly people will not put time & effort in, unless there is an issue. Then they go to the "experts" hand over bundles of cash,just to be told to do what they should have done in the 1st pace....& be watched while they do it.

Just to clarify, I don't like ANY gadgets being used when "proper" training removes the need for them
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
We know that some armies/police forces use them - but for your everyday pet owner, is there ever a genuine suitable need for them where other positive methods don't work.
I don't believe there is ever a need for prong collars and I can't understand why anyone would wish to use one.
They are not what I would call an aid to training anyway because the dog isn't being taught a behaviour it is being forced to comply with the handlers wishes.

As to the people who say the collars don't hurt, that is the whole point of them to cause the dog discomfort . If they didn't hurt they wouldn't work .

If the 'everyday pet owner' isn't able to train a dog without the use of corrective collars because 'other positive methods didn't work' they should be looking why the other methods didn't work . How much time/patience/consistency did they put into training, I believe there are no quick fixes to dog training without consequences be it pain/discomfort or additional behavioural problems .
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Totally agree with Mini's post.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Totally agree with Mini's post.
Me too - so "no".
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 11:21 PM
There is no excuse for prong collars. The argument that they don't hurt, that the prongs are blunted and wont cause damage is just hogwash! if the pointy prong bite around the neck feeling isn't the point of them, then why have prongs at all, just have a nice soft martingale, or any collar...

They are barbaric and seeing a dog pull like a train in one, wheezing and choking, or worse get jerked and 'corrected' makes me want to just go grab the thing, put it round the owner's neck and jerk it to see if they think it hurts! Just appalling.

Makes me ashamed to be human that we could advocate such casual cruelty in the name of training or betterment.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I don't believe there is ever a need for prong collars and I can't understand why anyone would wish to use one.
I agree

They should be totally banned! xx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
There is no excuse for prong collars. The argument that they don't hurt, that the prongs are blunted and wont cause damage is just hogwash! if the pointy prong bite around the neck feeling isn't the point of them, then why have prongs at all, just have a nice soft martingale, or any collar...

They are barbaric and seeing a dog pull like a train in one, wheezing and choking, or worse get jerked and 'corrected' makes me want to just go grab the thing, put it round the owner's neck and jerk it to see if they think it hurts! Just appalling.

Makes me ashamed to be human that we could advocate such casual cruelty in the name of training or betterment.
agreed
at the least I think the owner should have to have one fitted themselevs and the lead attacked between to 2 of them - so to 'correct' the dog they also have to correct themselves

it dosent hurt right? so there should be no problem with that
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
agreed
at the least I think the owner should have to have one fitted themselevs and the lead attacked between to 2 of them - so to 'correct' the dog they also have to correct themselves

it dosent hurt right? so there should be no problem with that
That made me chuckle ~ the images coming to mind of a macho dog owner witha large excitable "train" for a dog, being dragged round the park both with prong collars round their necks But hey, even if it did hurt, the adrenalin would mask the pain
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
I agree

They should be totally banned! xx
Yep I think so too.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-02-2011, 08:10 AM
i agree as well as many have said if you cant learn your big dog as a pup etc then the dog shouldnt be bought. now ive got a mastweiler who'll grow to 11-14 stone of daftness, he pulls like mad now but just started clicker training and is going down a treat, so as a first time ever dog owner and i can train then there's no excuse for other people training. in fact its lazy on the dog owner having one of these contraption's. a bit of common sense and a good site like dogsey will set you on the right track with the right training with help at any time.
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 71 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 > Last »