Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
... just an observation.... the three people on this thread that want /advise to use a 'tool' on a 6 month old puppy are male.. is it a patience thing?.. honest question.
Makes you wonder!

And the OP is apparently training to be a dog trainer/behaviourist.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by JIMMY LAW View Post
Yeah, i dont put anytime into my dogs, i find that quite insulting.
You said scent hounds couldn't be taught an instant down---you are wrong. People who have patience and have spent time training have done it.

I don't argue that you may have spent the time----just that you have been doing the wrong things in that time. Especially if you have used a citronella collar for a year!

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by JIMMY LAW View Post
Gun dogs, scent hounds are well known for doing this gross behaviour, but if i can reduce it with a whoosh of air whats the difference with you shouting leave and permanetley on their case. The dog does not no where its coming from, at no point does the dog know its coming from you, and thats why it works, because the dog can only recognise the spray with the the poo.
It doesn't work----if it did the dogs wouldn't still be doing it! The collars were never meant to be a permenant fixture.

I have had several dogs who do it or did it and its not nice but generally doesn't harm them at all---in fact horse/cow/sheep is second hand vegetation.

rune
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-10-2010, 11:57 PM
Just to correct something, the puppy is eight months old not six months.

Citronella, Tabasco, grapefruit juice...all designed to have the same effect! Just because it comes from a spray collar people freak out.

Situations can be set up so that I remain out of sight and still have control enough to perform correct timing.
The 'leave' command is fairly strong but I can not always be there to request a 'leave' or an instant down. The behaviour is so strong and self rewarding that as soon as I am out of sight it occurs.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Don't know why that is aimed at me but if you are still using it after a year it ain't working!!

Maybe you should look at another method?

rune
That is basically what I said.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
That is basically what I said.
Are you trying to be a trainer/behaviourist?

If so think you might well fall into the AP catagory. Not to be admired IMO.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Just to correct something, the puppy is eight months old not six months.

Citronella, Tabasco, grapefruit juice...all designed to have the same effect! Just because it comes from a spray collar people freak out.
Situations can be set up so that I remain out of sight and still have control enough to perform correct timing.
The 'leave' command is fairly strong but I can not always be there to request a 'leave' or an instant down. The behaviour is so strong and self rewarding that as soon as I am out of sight it occurs.
You have made it obvious in that comment that you have NO idea on how,why or when the citronella collar works.

Good start!
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You have made it obvious in that comment that you have NO idea on how,why or when the citronella collar works.

Good start!
Citronella is hopefully an aversive. As is Tabasco (in some cases), Pineapple juice (in some cases).

I have NO idea what you are eluding to.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Ok, I normally detest these types of collars. But some times when all avenues have been exhausted they maybe of some use.

My situation is, I have a puppy who has always eaten faeces. His own and other dogs. We have managed the situation and cut his exposure to the waste product as much as possible.
But we can't scan a whole field for faeces. I have a 'leave command' and it works...when I am around or close. However, much of the time I am not around. On rare occasions he has messed in the house overnight and eaten it.

To make matters worse he is on a six month course of steroids which ramps up his hunger. I cant manage the situation, it is not possible. I have tried pineapples in HIS food, stool repellant tablets, even hot tabasco sauce on the stools. He doesn't taste it, simply swallows it!

So it leaves me with the Citronella Remote Collar option.

Any opinions please?
After considering diet and changing it, after a period of ensuring continuous removal of faeces from the garden and any other possibilities, I too have recommended use of thee collars. It usually works in a few goes.

We see a lot of puppies and owners each week and some owners will never be able to train some dogs to "leave it" effectively. Its just that simple. And leave it is a human present controlled action. Humans are not always there.

Conntroversial as it might be, my view is, if a training method works, it works.

IF all other avenues have been considered and attempted then aversives are sometimes, necessary. In my view.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
After considering diet and changing it, after a period of ensuring continuous removal of faeces from the garden and any other possibilities, I too have recommended use of thee collars. It usually works in a few goes.

COntroversial as it might be, my view is, if it works it works.
Thank you. A balanced piece of advice.

People can get quite judgemental and we are only talking about the possible use of a Citronella collar in a controlled, thought-out and neutral manor.

It doesn't mean I will slap a shock collar on an aggressive dog, or use a anti-bark collar on a dog suffering from Separation Anxiety.
Page 5 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »