Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-01-2010, 06:28 PM

Poo eating

since ive taken my 4 off raw(was working out too expensive) and put them back on chappie dry with chicken the bt lola has started eating her and the others poo! does that mean shes lacking in something i try and pick it up straight away but sometimes i cant get out there quick enough catch her licking it as well.
sorry for the gross post but need to stop her doing it
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
since ive taken my 4 off raw(was working out too expensive) and put them back on chappie dry with chicken the bt lola has started eating her and the others poo! does that mean shes lacking in something i try and pick it up straight away but sometimes i cant get out there quick enough catch her licking it as well.
sorry for the gross post but need to stop her doing it
hi
there are a lot of theories about why dogs eat poop,imo on this one is,that your dogs are not digesting the new diet as efficiently as the old,so the poop smells like another meal..dogs are natural scavengers afterall
maisysmum09
New Member!
Female 

30-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Maisy has been doing this for the last few weeks and we are struggling to understand why - some ppl have suggested putting pineapple in thier food. We're going to try this next week so will let you know how it goes!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2010, 11:34 PM
The best solution to stool eating, coprophagy, is cleaning them up before the dog has a chance. You can try food additives, the home remedies pineapple juice or canned pumpkin or the commercial products Forbid or Deter.

Why dogs do it is poorly understood. It may be diet related, but changing the dog's diet might cause worse problems. Whatever problems it causes for the owner, it doesn't seem to hurt the dog unless you are trying to clear up a worm infestation.

For more information see http://home.gci.net/~divs/behavior/coprophagia.html
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Ruby has done this since about 3 months, tried pineapple but it didnt work. I just pick up as soon as she goes and she is slowley getting better now, and will walk away alot of the time now.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2010, 11:54 AM
i do go ut and pick up asap but she does it when my back is turned little tyke! i cant go out there and wait for them all to poo asace likes his privacy and wont go if im out there, have tried pineapple before so may do that again or as soon as shes done hers bring her in while the other 3 are doing their business!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
i do go ut and pick up asap but she does it when my back is turned little tyke! i cant go out there and wait for them all to poo asace likes his privacy and wont go if im out there, have tried pineapple before so may do that again or as soon as shes done hers bring her in while the other 3 are doing their business!
Hi Angie would it be possible to keep Lola on raw if changing has had such an effect on her?

Maybe take her out on her own on a lead to relieve herself then only allow her out with the others when they have done the same and it is all cleaned up.
I'm afraid picking up quickly is the only really fool proof method.

Also teach her to 'leave it'.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 06:12 PM
2 of my 5 eat poo!! It's horrible! I caught them both nibbling the same piece from different ends. Jenny my lurcher also picks it up and brings it in the house to eat!! I've got into the habit of cleaning it up after poo time now.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Selkie was a terrible culprit for this.. I tired pineapple and banana in her diet, but to no avail. In the end I spoke to an old boy on a walk and he suggested making up a yukky spray and always pick up but leave one down sprayed with the horrid spray...

I made a spray from chilli sauce, soap and mushroom sauce (for some reason selkie hates mushrooms)... After she went poop, I sprayed it and left it.. Sure enough she went to eat it but spat it out and gave me such a look.. After just a couple of days, she would avoid all poop and the habit has never come back.