lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
There are a few things happening here.

* 1stly your relationship will have suffered abiit due to
a. the recall thingy &
b.you are recently feeling down about your personal life, so if you are feeling down in general he may not KNOW how to behave any more, he may feel unsure of how you are going to recact. My dogs for instance react to be upset very differently , Mav tries to get in my skin hes so close & flynn hides.

* His skin is really really itchy, Its wet & weepy because hes got over active mites nibbling away at him. That must be driving him Crazy!!!!! Thats not his fault, He needs some advocate now, Did the vet give hiom a skin scrape? are the ear drops working?

* hes got mixed messages, ie hes allowed on your bed but not your parents. Thats not his fault.

* training issues, Not getting off a bed, just like not recalling is a training issue. This dog needs training, thats also not his fault.

So my reading of the situation is this:
The dog is feeling very uncomfy & sore, his owner has changed recently so hes lost abit of faith in you , then you ask him & punish him for something he dosent understand.

Lozzi, you have to get this dog to training class & you have to get his skin treated.

Ive been abit blunt in this post ,sorry. But Biting owners is not acceptable & i dont want the dog blamed ,PTS, labeled dangerous etc when its really not his fault.

Sorry if ive upset you, but in this instance i will tell it how it is (or at least how i see it) for the dogs sake.
The vet didn’t do a skin scrape (which surprised me coz she doesn’t know for definite it is a mite), the ear drops look to be working a bit, his ears look a wee bit better but he still scratches at them. he is a wee star when he gets his drops though.

I know mixed messages isn’t his fault, but I still expect him to do as he is told. I told him to get off my bed, and he did but when I told him to get off their bed he didn’t. I understand he might not know which bed he is allowed on, but everytime he goes on their bed he gets told to get off and usually does it. he knows ‘down’.

I didn’t punish him until he bit me though, and im sorry but he needed to go in his crate for both our safety. It was the safest way to let him calm down, and I did not want to risk getting bitten again.

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
First of all have a hug.(Lozzi not Mish but Mish can have one if she wants !!!)
Second...well I agree with absolutely everything that Mish has said and had been reading the thread wondering how I could phrase it.

The two biting incidents happened when you tried to move him. He will have given you a warning but you may not have understood it (ears back, pushing himself further into the sofa...or even just freezing). He wants to be on the sofa/bed and he doesn't want you to stop him. You said youself that you should have used treats...you know how to do it,but sometimes when faced by new situations we panic huh? Have a hug.
I would stop him going on beds and sofas...it is very hard for a dog to know he can go on one bed but not another. Let him sleep in his crate, with his medical issues it is probably best he has his own space right now anyway.Don't let him on beds...keep the doors shut to the bedrooms. Keep temptation out of his way. If he does get up, don't say anything, just lure him off with tasty food...or head out of the room and go and make exciting noises elsewhere (my dogs know the sound of their food cupboard and bowls for example).
As Mish said though...his recall training here is also vital as if his recall was ok you could go into another room and call him and reward him for coming...

I do agree with Mish though, I think you need to get him to classes...if only so you have someone you can speak to face to face.

http://www.apdt.co.uk/trainers_area....%20Lanarkshire

Don't think Airdrie is too far from Motherwell (I have family up and aound that area!!!) Could you get to see this lady? If not she may know someone closer to you that could help????

Good luck.
Remember he has bitten you for a reason (well a few...as Mish outlined) but the main trigger was the moving him off what he sees as his bed...he has not suddenly turned into a mad aggressive dog foaming at the mouth. He has done this for a reason. You now HAVE to sort it all out,that will take a while, you need to be patient/understanding/kind/ consistent. It is fairly easy to sort at this stage...but you have to sort it now.

Good luck xxxx
I know I should have used treats, but it was late and I was tired so I just wasn’t thinking. His recall in the house is usually great though, he comes straight away (its just one walks he goes temporarily deaf). Thanks for the link, Airdrie isn’t far from him so will have a wee look.

I don’t understand why he sees it as his bed though, he always get told to get off as soon as he goes on it, I would expect him to see my bed as his, if anything, and yet he got off mine straight away…

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I thought he was receiving treatment?
he is, he is getting ear drops and stronghold, which is 3 wee pipettes that have to be applied to the bottom of his neck, between the shoulders every 2 weeks.

I think hes having ear drops? I asked elsewhere in the post if it was working.
Though there was a piccy of jake yesterday & it was still looking much much too sore,-if it was my dog by now i would have expected it to have looked less weepy /angrey or id have been back to the vet.
His left eye is looking better but the right eye is looking about the same… I was surprised she didn’t give me something to help his eyes and make them less sore.

Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
I thought they gave him a spot on treatment?
they gave him stronghold, which has to be applied every 2 weeks.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
From what I understand this is an ongoing thing -he has not had the condition before - he still has the same thing.

Warnings like growling and lifting lips are not the only warnings dogs give - Body tension (especially ears and lips), eyes as well - as I am sure you know.

The dog did not bite until she physically lent over (after she had told him and tapped him) and picked him up, which leads me to believe he gave warning. Unfortunately it was one the the OP either did not recognise or chose to ignore.

My interpretation of what was written was that there was warning - if someone had been explaining this situation to me I would have expected a bite or snap would follow.
However - I wasn't there.
I have to disagree, it is NOT ok for a dog to attack anyone, let alone its owner. Telling people he is giving a warning could be very dangerous IMO, almost as though this behaviour is ok and acceptable. I read Jake has NEVER done this before, he isnt food possessive either. Im not saying that there wasnt a reason in HIS mind for what he did, but none the less a dog cannot be allowed to attack its owner, then try again shortly after, and people advise the owner he is a dog and was reacting and thats ok, it isnt.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Sorry, but I haven't read the whole of this thread yet, only so sorry to have read your original post, I hope you're not hurt too badly (both inside and out!).

My gut instinct here initially is definitely pain! On both occasions Jake was lying down, reluctant to move, you wanted him to move, he couldn't, you forced him to move, he attacked in the only way he knows how. To my mind, there is pain somewhere on him getting up, but having not ready right to the end, maybe you've been to the vet and he's checked that out? That would be my gut instinct here, I'm sure Jake wouldn't have turned on you for any other reason. Yes I know we get that horrible Kevin appearing somewhere along the line, but not like this, I honestly don't think this was bolshiness, and I know he did jump up on that other bed again which says he isn't in pain, but it could be just the getting down again, or maybe as he jumped up on the other bed for the 2nd time, it set the pain off again, so he didn't want to move?? Good luck, I will work my way through the whole thread now, you poor, poor thing.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Mish has hit the nail on the head. I have nothing to add.

Hugs to you chick, and good luck with sorting Jake's health and behavioural problems.

We all know this is NOT normal for Jake

x0x
thanks, it really isn’t usual for my boy…

Oh really? Must have missed that. Silly me
Maybe i will shut up then , Although with advocate the owner would get a pack so they can repeat the treatment monthly.
Why did i think he had ear drops???

Is stronghold a spot on?does anyone know?

Lozzi what treatment did the vets give him?
He does have ear drops, but he has stronghold too. stronghold has to be applied every 2 weeks at the bottom of his neck between the shoulders so is a spot on. Not sure how long that should take effect in healing his eyes.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
Pop a trail lead on him so if you get into the situation again he will be able to be moved from wherever you want him to be.He wears it all the time.

Don't let your BF anywhere near him---men tend to use force more than women do and you have already said he has an anger problem, if he gets bitten he WILL get angry.

Jake is being a dog and you didn't listen to him.

You are also putting a lot of emotion out at the moment and Jake is mopping it up for you. He is confused, he isn't sure if you are his protector or he has to be yours.

Getting on the bed---any bed is fine if you want it to be but he must get off when asked, the trail lead will help but when you use it DON'T look at him and always give him an escape route away from you. Same with asking him to move anywhere, ask irst then if he doesn't move pick the lead up and move him with no eye contact and no anger.

You have broken a trust he had that you would understand him and it will take a while to repair it. I stress DON'T involve your bf in this, it will be enough for Jake to cope with repairing your relationship.

Lastly----he is a dog he doesn't bear grudges, he doesn't hate you and he was trying to communicate. Don't stop loving him.

rune
thanks, that’s a good idea with having a lead on him. hadn’t thought of that but think I will try it. I tried to listen to him, but he didn’t give me any warnings, well none that I saw and if there was any they must have been very slight.

He is back to being his loveable self today, and has been have a good play with me. me and jake do a lot of playing and training, so I think our relationship is a good one.

I need to go get ready for work now though so will reply to the other comments when I get in.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I have to disagree, it is NOT ok for a dog to attack anyone, let alone its owner. Telling people he is giving a warning could be very dangerous IMO, almost as though this behaviour is ok and acceptable. I read Jake has NEVER done this before, he isnt food possessive either. Im not saying that there wasnt a reason in HIS mind for what he did, but none the less a dog cannot be allowed to attack its owner, then try again shortly after, and people advise the owner he is a dog and was reacting and thats ok, it isnt.
I don't believe I said it was acceptable - I think I said it was understandable - big difference.

A dog should not attack its owner - but people also have to realise that these are dogs and theirs minds work differently to ours.

If you confront a dog in a situation where it has given an indication it is not comfortable, and then you corner it there is a strong possibility you will get snapped at or bitten.
Telling people to ignore those warnings a dog has given and 'make sure they do as they are told' IMO is a tad more dangerous.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Hope things improve all round LB, it can appear as though one thing is on top of another sometimes, it will get better.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't believe I said it was acceptable - I think I said it was understandable - big difference.

A dog should not attack its owner - but people also have to realise that these are dogs and theirs minds work differently to ours.

If you confront a dog in a situation where it has given an indication it is not comfortable, and then you corner it there is a strong possibility you will get snapped at or bitten.
I've seen this with my own eyes with two of my dogs in the past, so I backed off, knowing they were in pain, somewhere! A normal, well blanced dog, who is just trying it on, or impersonating Kevin,would NEVER go to the extremes of biting it's OWNER, never in a million years! They know the hand that feeds them, they're not daft!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Out of interest - what were the circumstanses surrounding him growling at your neice? and how did you get him over it?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Didnt you hit/smack him when he wouldnt get down/move before he bit you? That was the punishment i was refering too.

Behaviour is behaviour, he dosent listen to you outside & because you havent sorted that out then that not listening is now extending to indoors. Behaviour both good & bad always gets stronger & evolves.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:19 PM

Thats the thing, I agree with what you said, but Jake gave Lozzi no warning. Im sure if he growled at her or lifted his lips, she wouldnt of tried to move him. She has done what she did many times before, it wasnt strange behaviour for him, it wasnt new or different. He chose, without warning to bite her face and hands, then again a short time later, from what I gather would of been a worse attack than the first.

I just dont like some of the complacency in some of the posts that all, anyone who's dog may be biting for some reason could see this as "normal" and "allowed" which IMO could lead to very serious consequences for some people. Im not trying to be awkward, just pointing out how it comes across.
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 26 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »