View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 08:30 PM

Woody - serious behaviour issues and I really need some vibes!! (Updated @ post 116)

I'm in tears as I type this but we're now having to face the harsh reality that Woody has some generic/genetic behaviour issues that are slowly getting worse.

We're doing everything we can and have the best professional help and advice available but all now agree that he is unusually hyper active and is showing classic signs of aggression.

Neither of us are ever going to give up (I mean what choice do we have, he wont be re-homeable!!), but it's so hard to face the reality that there is a chance that what is in him is so strong we wont be able to help him!

I'm taking the business as usual approach but as I sit here listening to him gnawing at the coffee table, even though he's had walks and play and food and water and rest and mental games I just want to cry inside!!

Sorry for the whine, but I just need to get it out.

Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Awww come on Pet - please don't cry

You say the pro's have said he is unusually hyper and showing signs of aggression? Is this including the vets or is this the behavioural experts?

Have they said they can't help Woody?

The last time I read he seemed to be making a bit of progress It must be so upsetting for you when you are doing all you can to help improve his behaviour.

Huge hugs to you xxxx
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Aww Pidge - Its very hard when you are going through behaviour training.

You have good days and bad days - feel better knowing that he is a teenager and with time and patience you will work through it.

Big hugs
xxx
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 08:42 PM
How upsetting for you. I'm so so sorry I can sense the turmoil you are in. Big big hugs on the way. I'm wish I had good advice to give xx
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Sorry to hear this mate, it must be tough when it's clear how much hard work and effort you've put in.

But don't give up hope, as i know you won't. It may just be a phase and it may pass in time. He's still young remember and things can change.

Can dogs use herbal remedies in the same way as humans?? There may be something out there that might calm him down a bit. Have you tried those things you plug in that release calming vibes (wrong word i know but can't think of the right one).

Really hope it works out ok for you and you know where i am if you want to chat.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Awww come on Pet - please don't cry

You say the pro's have said he is unusually hyper and showing signs of aggression? Is this including the vets or is this the behavioural experts?

Have they said they can't help Woody?

The last time I read he seemed to be making a bit of progress It must be so upsetting for you when you are doing all you can to help improve his behaviour.

Huge hugs to you xxxx
Behaviourists that are helping us and friends who are very expert in rescue springers.

We are doing all we can, there is always more to do and clearly things we have done wrong (inadvertently) but I'm so scared it's going end in tears if you know what I mean.

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Aww Pidge - Its very hard when you are going through behaviour training.

You have good days and bad days - feel better knowing that he is a teenager and with time and patience you will work through it.

Big hugs
xxx
I hope so although I can't help but worry now that even the experts are saying we have our hands full and that there is clearly something in him that is causing this.

I am NOT giving up, ever, but I do worry so much that despite all our efforts and hard work we might not be able to help him.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Every time one of my old canine friends dies and I get a `new` dog I am totally taken by surprise at the sheer relentless energy of a young animal. The lack of an off switch, the way they need five minutes break to recharge their batteries while I need duvet time for many many hours.
It sounds like you need a bit of a break TBH. I`m sure you`ll be fine in the end and will do the best for your dog. Big hugs.
x
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 08:47 PM
You say you have tried everything & are still trying, but he is only a puppy of 7 months. Perhaps you are trying the wrong things & trying too hard to make him grow up too quickly.

I know he's a gundog & I think you are doing some gundog training, but have you considered formal Obedience or Working Trials training, that is structured ? I don't mean pet obedience, but aimed at competing in competitions.

It can really stretch your dogs mind & mental ability & at the end of each session you have not only tired him mentally, but also built up a very close relationship as an added extra.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
How upsetting for you. I'm so so sorry I can sense the turmoil you are in. Big big hugs on the way. I'm wish I had good advice to give xx
Thanks for the support though eh xx

Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Sorry to hear this mate, it must be tough when it's clear how much hard work and effort you've put in.

But don't give up hope, as i know you won't. It may just be a phase and it may pass in time. He's still young remember and things can change.

Can dogs use herbal remedies in the same way as humans?? There may be something out there that might calm him down a bit. Have you tried those things you plug in that release calming vibes (wrong word i know but can't think of the right one).

Really hope it works out ok for you and you know where i am if you want to chat.
Mate, you have no idea how hard this is. Neil described it earlier as abit like having a disabled child. I hope I don't cause offence saying that, especially to Elaine but it really is. He needs 24/7 attention and time and support and there are good days and bad days.

It hasn't helped that we now realise that unless we can nail this we either a) go without children or b) give him up. I just can't face either option.

Don't get me wrong, I'm being over dramatic as we don't know that that is the case yet, but we were told we need to face up to the fact that it is a possibility. That makes me so bloody upset. I just can't cope with it all to be honest. He means the world to me and I feel so helpless.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2009, 08:48 PM
I just wondered if there was maybe something medically wrong that could cause his behaviour? Especially as they say it is unusually hyper etc?

Not that I know anything about what could medically cause it, but just pondered?

Whatever the cause I really do hope Woody starts to improve soon. We all know how hard you have been working with him.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »