Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Thank you.

He is on anti-inflamms at the moment and we have to take him back in a few days to check up on him. The vet has talked about different options, glucosamine, injections, long term anti- inflamms etc so we will just have to see how he goes. Every dog is going to react differently I suppose.

However he is a little on the cuddly side and we are working on that- he has lost 5kilos so far and the vet thinks a few more would help. He was 45kilos and is now 40! He's a big boy!!

I will update after we have seen the vet next time!

Thanks for all advice.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Am sure you'll find something to help your boy, some good advice here and sorry, can't really add but used to give a herbal mix for arthritis for a dog(although was older) by Chudley's and it helped him a lot, also garlic is anti-inflamatory and tumeric.
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Oh yes, forgot to mention the weight!
I'm lucky that Stone is a skinny minnie anyway (sometimes a bit TOO thin) but the vet said better that than carrying a few too many pounds!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Sam, my Border Collie, has had severe arthritis and HD which was diagnosed when he was just turned 6 years old.

On his vet's recommendation, he has been on Glucosomine and Chondroitin and Green Lipped Mussel ever since and up until early this year, he has been great (with commonsense used on exercise amount and type).

He's 15 in January and both conditions have caught up with him now - seemingly worsened by two bouts of vestibular disease which have taken a heavy toll.

However, my boy is still mischieveous in short bursts and is still being kept comfortable. He no longer goes for walks but will tootle around the garden. The winter isn't helping my boy and I know in my heart that it's now time to make as much of the time we have left as is possible so we are busy making happy memories and loving my boy to bits - us doing the spoiling, him taking advantage as only a collie can

Sorry, I digress. Run it by your vet first (always a wise precaution), but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Glucosomine and Chondroitin together with Green Lipped Mussel. They've been a quality of life saver for my special lad for many years
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Brierly.

Thank you for your reply. The vet mentioned glucosamine so that may the route with start with. We have insurance with Pet Plan and my vet will take direct payment from them so he should be able to have what he needs and when! Even so, the kids would have to go without this christmas if we needed to, ha ha!

Anyway, he seems to be doing ok at the moment and still drags me around when he feels like it so he can't be too bad!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2