View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GeorgiesMum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2010, 02:01 PM

Any ideas for treats for a dog post liver shunt surgery?

Georgie had liver shunt surgery almost 3 weeks ago. She is on Hills Science Diet L/D dry food (a third of a cup three times a day). She and Chester (also a mini Schnauzer) are used to getting Doggie Snaxx (not sure if they're available outside of South Africa) as a treat but since Georgie's diagnosis I've not given any treats. Georgie is on very low protein food and I don't know what I can substitute for her treats. Are there any suggestions?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Hi Claire sorry you have not had many replies but it is difficult to know what is available in SA.

How about rice cakes, most health food shops sell them...

they are made with 100% brown rice and dogs love them .
Also a raw carrot may be ok.
GeorgiesMum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2010, 06:07 AM
Thank you, Minihaha. I'll check out the ingredients and try Georgie on the rice cakes. She used to love carrots so maybe I can try them too.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 08:44 AM
I have had a couple of dogs with liver problems and done my own diet for both although Poll is now back more or less on good quality dried chicken and rice.

I used natural low fat yoghurt which you could put in kongs and freeze, cottage cheese, rice chicken and raw veg mashed up in a mixer/blender. The odd egg is OK as well which would help bind anything you bake.

You might bbe able to finda way of using any of that as treats. There might be info on the net for treats as well.

rune