Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
FoxTail
New Member!
Female 

30-04-2018, 02:49 AM

Dog Goes Crazy When She Sees Other Dogs on Walks

Hello everyone! I just found this forum recently and I’m hoping to get some advice here!

So for some background, I have two dogs. An 11 year old Lhasa Apso mix named Colby and a 5 year old terrier mix named Dolly. Both love going on walks, maybe even a little too much! Whenever I start pulling out their leashes, Dolly goes absolutely wild, running around the house, jumping on me, whining, etc.

I don’t mind all that too much, but the biggest problem I’ve been facing is the pulling and freaking out whenever we pass another dog. Dolly especially will begin pulling on her leash, running around my feet (practically tangling all of us up!) barking, growling, and whining. Sometimes this will rile Colby up too so then I’ll have have two crazy dogs in my possession!

I’ve tried a couple of different tactics so far (turning around and walking the other direction, walking on the other side of the sidewalk, standing firmly in place until the other dog passes, ignore the behavior and keep walking, etc) but none of those approaches seem to be working. I’ve tried giving them treats when on walks but neither of them seem to want them, even if it’s their favorite. Any suggestions on what I can do from here? And any other tips on how to deal with pulling in general would be great as well! Sorry this is so long, thanks for reading!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-04-2018, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by FoxTail View Post
Hello everyone! I just found this forum recently and I’m hoping to get some advice here!

So for some background, I have two dogs. An 11 year old Lhasa Apso mix named Colby and a 5 year old terrier mix named Dolly. Both love going on walks, maybe even a little too much! Whenever I start pulling out their leashes, Dolly goes absolutely wild, running around the house, jumping on me, whining, etc.

I don’t mind all that too much, but the biggest problem I’ve been facing is the pulling and freaking out whenever we pass another dog. Dolly especially will begin pulling on her leash, running around my feet (practically tangling all of us up!) barking, growling, and whining. Sometimes this will rile Colby up too so then I’ll have have two crazy dogs in my possession!

I’ve tried a couple of different tactics so far (turning around and walking the other direction, walking on the other side of the sidewalk, standing firmly in place until the other dog passes, ignore the behavior and keep walking, etc) but none of those approaches seem to be working. I’ve tried giving them treats when on walks but neither of them seem to want them, even if it’s their favorite. Any suggestions on what I can do from here? And any other tips on how to deal with pulling in general would be great as well! Sorry this is so long, thanks for reading!
Welcome new member.

I'm not an expert. Our current dog is mostly not on a leash so the pulling issue doesn't arise. That said, there are usually no sidewalks involved.

So a thought. Can you walk your canine companions where they can be off the leash?