register for free

Dog News

The dog that killed the baby girl in Daventry confirmed as illegal American pit bull

...has received 33 comments (page 2)
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Thanks for explaining that Baxter8.xx
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2014, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure of your point. Are you saying it was more likely to have happened because it was banned breed. ? But yu also point out any dog is capable of attack.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Baxter8 - What I was saying is that in this latest tragedy the dog was owned illegally, not that it happened because of the breed.

My comment about the Jack Russell was in response to and in agreement with lovemybull's post which said "Sorry to say that any dog larger than say 40 lbs could maul a human infant to death if so motivated, regardless of breed or country of origin." - even one weighing less than 40 lb.

I should have made myself clear about that.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Yes makes sense now Malka. My dog is good with chldren but there isn't a single circumstance where he would be left alone with one. From what I can gather the baby was a visitor, so it's possible the dog had never been that close to a baby before and freaked out.

Malka do you still have Pereg?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

10-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Pereg is currently flonked by my feet, probably wondering why we have not gone to bed yet!
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2014, 02:36 AM
The whole dangerous dog idea just irks me no end...and I know there are any number of people in England and surrounding area that want the concept of dangerous by breed overturned. Same thing for parts of Colorado and Florida in the States.
My Sophie is dangerous to other dogs and I keep her away from small children. But it's because purely as a dog she is an unstable basket case, but her breed has nothing to do with it.
The dog Nazi's would have Callie shot on sight...because of his appearance. Yet he's the one who will sit at the playground with me and patiently let toddlers hug him. The older children he'll happily wag his stump for and lick their faces. He basks in human attention. Yet with his boxy head and shoulders...dangerous dog.
Didn't they used to use measurements to guess which people were Aryan? Try telling that to London's finest.
Just burns me up...if they came for my Callie I would bite
Now one more question on the topic of "illegal breeds". Apparently, as is my understanding, English Bull Dogs are exempt from dangerous dog status. Am I correct? Is it a national thing? Are they considered a different kind of bully unrelated to so called "Pit breeds"? When I see an English bull I see the same boxy build but perhaps a typically more pronounced underbite. Otherwise not a lot of difference.

The history of English Bull Dogs still points to the sport of bull baiting. A dog bred to latch onto a bull's snout until it suffocated and perhaps drowned in it's own blood. Yet today's English Bull is routinely considered fat happy and easygoing. I've known many English bulldogs and know that to be true. However any other bully breed is seen in quite a different light indeed. It just doesn't make sense to me. But since I don't feature living in Colorado or England anyways it hardly matters.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-10-2014, 08:07 AM
Apparently, as is my understanding, English Bull Dogs are exempt from dangerous dog status. Am I correct? Is it a national thing?
Not sure what you are implying are you suggesting the Bulldog (by the way there is no such thing as an English bulldog, their correct name is "Bulldog") is not considered dangerous due it its nationality , but the pit is discriminated against because its American ??

No one is saying the law is not flawed , it is, but its still the law and till it changes, we have to abide to it.

The Pit (and type) ARE banned here and as such the people who breed them will not be breeding for a temperament to fit into family life, the Bulldog and other bull breeds have the fortune of having hundreds of years of careful breeding to eradicate ANY unwanted traits from the original purpose, its called selective breeding , something responsible breeders do.

Of cause we cant point the finger at every dog that is type accusing it of a potential child killer, there are plenty that sit quite happily under the radar with responsible owners, who many don`t even see they have a type dog, its just a staffie type dog.....BUT the facts are pit types ARE banned here, we don`t have the benefit if good breeders, they breed them in flats back gardens, have no socialization, sell them down the pub at 3.4.5. weeks old to anyone who will buy them, for a bit of cash,

Yes I am stereotyping , but sadly its real, you don`t get responsible people breeding these dogs , so given the fact the dogs may be from dubious parentage, no social learning and sold on to anyone who will give then £50 , they end up with irresponsible owners some who like the hard man image with a hard /mean dog..... its a pot waiting to boil over.

Every one of these cases that has been in the news for the past how ever many years are such dogs, they are not happy family pets, they have been owned by idiots who want a hard dog on the end of the lead, then bang the inevitable happens.

I have not against this breed, its those who bred them, and the inadequacy to police the situation.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Yes and no Jackie. I think it's true that responsible people don't breed pitbulls and they end up being sold in a pub for £40-50 to irresponsible owners. And I understand what you mean about stereotyping but I don't think either of us are far off the mark.

Interestingly though, this is the first death by an illegal dog, all deaths in recent years (which actually have been extremely low - compare with e.g children killed on roads by irresponsible drunk drivers or negligent caretakers).

And yet I can't help seeing snobbery and the hand of the kennel club in all of this. I wonder why pitbulls were banned and considered dangerous but not rottweillers, german shepherds etc.. which have also been responsible for human deaths.

The law is flawed is an understatement - it is extremely flawed. It engenders a false sense of security with some dogs and extreme prejudice against others. The sooner it is changed,the better in my opinion.

Correction - just read this interesting fact

"But out of at least 17 death from dog bites from 2005, only two are said to have been from illegal breeds".
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Snobbery and the KC? Thats a bit of a blanket statement amigo, I'm sure there are elitist folk within the KC but my breed is not KC and I could show you plenty of raging jerks here too. I'm not sure how much of a hand you can claim the KC has or has had in dictating what breeds fell under BSL and what was spared. Most BSL appeared during an era of great moral panic about pretty much everything, dogs like the pit were very much on the up and up at the time, it proved a good way to make political mileage in its day. As you say poor breedership certainly has a lot to answer for, quality is always a casualty of prohibition. Now personally I dont "breed out" or "breed in" anything, I breed for CORRECT AB's and everything that entails. With that said its then my responsibility to raise properly, home carefully and be there for every one of them from cradle to grave, its not a profitable exercise I can assure you and I've only done two litters in six years. Indeed you aren't likely to find many people producing banned dogs out of philanthropy.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Not quite sure what you're saying or why the outrage there Mr Bulldog - I didn't mean it personally!

I haven't checked but I would say with some confidence that pitbulls aren't KC registered, but I understand that Rottwellers are and yet they are responsible for a handful of human deaths as are bull mastiffs (another KC registered breed.

And I'm not sure the middle class keep pitbulls - you might know differently of course.

All this is of course irrelevant as it doesn't matter what breed a dog is, the majority of capable of killing in the wrong hands.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top