register for free

Dog News

Dangerous Dogs - ITV 20 March, 9pm

...has received 24 comments (page 2)
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Well I am not really sure what you expected from the dog wardens, they were put in a "dammed if you do " situation, its OK for us to criticise how they dealt with the dogs, but really put in that situation could you/I do any better.

It broke my heart seeing the akita getting so stressed, but given the situation that dog was not going to allow anyone in the house, they had to get it out, and they did even if it was distressing to watch.

The bloke with the ridgebacks, I have to say ,I shouted at him a few times , feeding two starving dogs one bowl of food in the same kennel, then he was surprised to see them fighting...

What appalled me the most was the owners and conditions some of these dogs lived in, those poor puppies,
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Well I agree with Jackie in a lot of ways.
It was very distressing and made me feel physically sick at times.
I do think those wardens were in a difficult situation. Would speaking quietly rather than shouting and screaming have made any difference I dunno.

I did think the programme highlighted the fact that the owners and environment made the dogs what they were. They weren't all Staffies. It was pointed out that none of the breeds were on the dangerous dog list

Distressing?.....yes, but interesting non the less.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2014, 09:02 AM
I guess I imagined they would try a food approach first and coax the dogs a bit more. I have had rescues who you needed gauntlets at first to handle but we were gentle as we could be and always coaxed with food where possible.

Personally I feel especially the Akita a tranquiliser would have been a better approach and not put either the warden or the dog in any danger.

She was clearly scared (understandable) but like in dogs fear breeds bad behaviour they bite she shouts. Neither are IMO really helping the situation calm down.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

21-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I guess I imagined they would try a food approach first and coax the dogs a bit more. I have had rescues who you needed gauntlets at first to handle but we were gentle as we could be and always coaxed with food where possible.

Personally I feel especially the Akita a tranquiliser would have been a better approach and not put either the warden or the dog in any danger.

She was clearly scared (understandable) but like in dogs fear breeds bad behaviour they bite she shouts. Neither are IMO really helping the situation calm down.
In situations like the akita , a tranquiliser is not going to work, the dog was running on fear and adrenalin, and whilst adrenalin is running high tranquilisers often fail to take effect, which in turn would put the dog under more stress and confound the situation, yes I agree maybe food would have done the trick, but as we were not there, and the dog was giving her a lot of trouble , she did what she felt was best, it was awful to see it so stressed out and shut down at the end, but what a lovely dog he did turn out to be, it made it all worth while .
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2014, 09:19 AM
OK what about a cage trap then, anything that didn't involve dragging it like that and shouting at it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

21-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
OK what about a cage trap then, anything that didn't involve dragging it like that and shouting at it.
Not trying to be argumentative but.... would you want to leave that dog in that environment a moment longer then need be, it could take days for it to go into a trap.

I guess we can come up with lots of alternatives, but as horrible as that situation was, they did what they felt best for the dog.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2014, 09:37 AM
A starving dog desperate for water would be in a trap quite quickly IMO but as to length of time in the house well if they fed it and gave it water I would imagine it would be less scared so another day or night would not have made much difference to the outcome but could have saved shear terror of the dog and the warden.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2014, 09:41 AM
The other thing to remember is that this is television land, edited and cut to show the parts that will cause the most sensationalism..

I must admit my first reaction to the program was disgust and horror at the way these people where handling the situation, then I thought about it....

It is bringing attention to the fact that these dogs are only dangerous because of the circumstances they are in, the vast majority of the public only know what they are told where dogs are concerned and will believe everything they are told.

We have all met people who have worked with dogs forever that still don't really understand what they are dealing with and resist new ideas as fads.

I would be the first to admit that being put in front of that door with that Akita my first instinct would be to get it out as fast as possible given that it would stop guarding once it had nothing to guard, you only know you have got it wrong when it's too late and the situation spirals as it did with that dog warden.

As always it comes down to education and if this program upsets enough people then hopefully something positive will come out of it

Well those are my thoughts for today
Ginge2602
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2014, 09:49 AM
I've just watched it on catchup so that's my day ruined! I was also appalled at the handling and blonde from Birmingham needs to get a new job! The guy feeding two starving dogs together ..... Aarrrgh! Why does it take so long to remove dogs? The guy with the pups had weeks. Surely they should have been taken away. I'm cuddling mine right now. One thing though .... I had major surgery last yr and was papped out after 24hrs. What hospital was she in for a week!
Meg
Supervisor

21-03-2014, 10:25 AM
I too found the programme quite distressing and felt just a mornings tuition for staff on dog handling from a member of the APBC would have helped.
Yelling and shouting at stressed dogs although a natural reaction does nothing but escalate a bad situation.

I appreciate staff portrayed in the programme have a terrible job to do and it is the sort of job that may not attract many takers. I don't think I could do it, the dogs would not be my problem but the owners would
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top