register for free

Dog News

Northern Ireland introduces compulsory microchipping for dogs

From today, micro-chipping of all dogs will be compulsory in Northern Ireland. It is the first place in the UK introducing the law, which has been brought in for improvements in dog control for the following areas: dog attacks, strays and unwanted dogs, and to promote responsible ownership. The Minister introducing the Bill said:

"The Dogs (Amendment) Bill is one of my key priorities. The current legislation is now more than 25 years old and while it has brought many improvements in dog control here, we continue to have problems with dog attacks, straying and unwanted dogs.

“I am determined to strengthen and improve the existing arrangements to tackle these issues and promote responsible ownership.

When the Bill is enacted I believe that it will, taken in its entirety, mean that we have the strongest dog control legislation in these islands"

Is it about time the rest of the UK followed suit?

Your comments and views:
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 03:17 AM
I am over here/there at the moment.

This has featured heavily on local tv

I have to say I have never seen so many strays/loose dogs in the rest of the British Isles as I see over here, and so I can see the reasoning behind the decision in NI.

The situation is not as bad on the mainland.

It will be interesting to see if this results in an uplift of euthanasia or an uplift in fines.

Vets will be doing this FoC to begin with I understand from the local news.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2012, 11:41 PM
This is great news. I hope the rest of the UK follows suit in short order. It's such a small thing to do and can save so much trouble and grief.

My one concern is that people who are bound and determined to abandon their dogs, and who fear prosecution if they are identified as the owner of a stray, will either cut the chips out themselves (I have heard of this happening) or abandon the dogs in such a way that no one will find them.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top