register for free

Dog News

A couple providing animals sanctuary find themselves convicted of animal cruelty

A couple who said they were providing animals sanctuary have been convicted of animal cruelty after the RSPCA raided their house and they found themselves in court. Husband and wife, James and Nicola said they gave sanctuary to 69 animals, 56 of which were dogs that they said were destined to be put down. When the RSPCA raided the house they said they were "swamped by a sea of dogs" in the lounge and that there were "too many too count" in the back garden, in the couple's four bedroom house - where five children also live.

Amongst the dogs were, German Shepherds, Siberian Huskies, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Rottweilers as well as chinchillas, cats and birds.

James 40 and Nicola 31 from Queens Road in Minhead, Somerset, admitted nine animal cruelty charges at Taunton Magistrates Court relating to animals kept at their home.

RSPCA officers testified that when they visited the house on October 17 2011 they were immediately hit by a "strong smell of ammonia", and described the house as "dirty" and that many of the animals suffered from health issues, affecting their eyes, teeth, ears and skin - and that some had been suffering for a year or so,

The Defence team told the magistrates that the majority of animals were in danger of being put down as their owners could not cope with them, but that the couple themselves had become overwhelmed by the sheer number of animals in their home.

Sentencing has been adjourned to a later hearing and the couple have been released on bail.

Your comments and views:
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 02:01 PM
How horrid for the children
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-04-2012, 07:09 AM
POOR DOGS!!! i bet they only get a stupid warning. jail them, i say!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Hearts were in the right place Im sure and to be fair it took the RSPCA till 56 dogs to raid the place?

The issue(s) should have been addressed a long time ago as lets face it it didnt happen overnight!
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Surely someone should have stepped in before the amount of dogs became so huge. That is not healthy for those children and certainly not healthy for the dogs. Hoarding gets out of control very easily. And just what are the RSPCA going to do with the dogs????
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-04-2012, 01:08 AM
On the one hand they may have prevented some dogs from being killed, on the other some of them got ill. As Dobermonkey said - their hearts seem to be in the right place, and I would hope they are not sentenced harshly.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2013, 12:01 AM
I think this is the problem people love creatures so much and hate to see suffering so they take on more than they can handle but try with the enormous problem to do the best by them without realizing that in fact they are failing the animals they are trying to shelter. I feel they should be treated with humanity the way they tried to meet the need of these poor creatures...............it says a lot when we are not able to support people that are prepared to put themselves out for our little critters. Give them the money to support what they are doing and the room to do it.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2013, 10:05 AM
People seem to get so mislead in these situations & do not seem to realise how the animals that they have rescued are suffering. I do not understand why they do not seek help.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top