register for free

Dog News

Taxi driver gets 10 points and a caution for refusing to carry guide dog

A Hertfordshire taxi driver who refused to carry a blind man's guide dog has received ten penalty points on his taxi licence and a formal caution by North Herts District Council (NHDC). If he commits a further offence in the next two years, the driver, who works for Gary's Taxis in Letchworth Garden City, could have his licence revoked.

Sean Dilley had arranged for a taxi to pick him up from letchworth Sports and Tennis Club in January but said he was told he was welcome to use the taxi but his guide dog could not. He said he was told by the driver that he would not take his assistance dog, Chip, because he was a Muslim and it was against his Islamic beliefs. Mr Dilley subsequently complained to NHDC, which is responsible for taxi licences in the area.

At the disciplinary hearing, the taxi driver admitted he had refused to carry Chip. His explanation that he did not understand the council's Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Policy, the Equality act 2010 or the meaning of the word 'an assistance' dog was accepted by the council.

Andy Godman, head of housing and public protection for NHSC, said: “The council takes this issue very seriously and has thoroughly investigated all the legal and religious issues regarding Muslim drivers carrying assistance dogs. We hope that the penalty awarded will send a clear message that NHDC does not tolerate breaches of our policy on this matter, however we are satisfied that the case hinged on a misunderstanding on the driver’s part rather than an explicit refusal to assist a disabled person.”

Mr Dilly said he was satisfied that there was no malice intended by the driver, adding that he is: “happy to accept an unreserved apology from him. I am also satisfied that the council acted quickly to investigate the matter and that their judgement is fair.

“Ultimately, I hope that my case will highlight to other taxi drivers the legal position around carrying assistance dogs, so that this doesn’t happen to anyone else.”

Your comments and views:
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 10:31 AM
My goodness, a penalty that will make others sit up and think for a change.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2012, 10:38 AM
I was refused a cab years ago with my GSD ,we were going to the vets ...
They sent out another cab who was willing to take us ,,,
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Was your GSD an assistance dog?

If not the taxi driver is entitled to refuse to take a dog in his cab.

The law only applies to assistance dogs
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Na he wasnt..

When ordering a cab if the dog owner had informed them he had a guide dog surly they would have sent a appropriate cab and driver ?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Maybe he didn't inform them? Not that he should have to really, it's law they carry guide dogs. Whenever I used a taxi with Rupert I made sure to let them know I had a large dog with me and they always sent me a driver willing to take dogs.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 11:38 AM
things like this really annoy me! glad hes got the points to be honest..
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 11:58 AM
“Ultimately, I hope that my case will highlight to other taxi drivers the legal position around carrying assistance dogs, so that this doesn’t happen to anyone else.”

ultimately i hope this case highlights to people with assistance dogs to state they will have a dog with them when they make the booking.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 11:59 AM
but why should they? why should they have to when they are booking a taxi like any normal person state on the phone that they are blind so have a dog? they shouldnt have to..
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Because they have a dog ..
If it it was blind man with a stick there would not have been an issue...

Some people are petrified of dogs remember ...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top