register for free

Dog News

Cat dies after attack by off lead dog

...has received 28 comments (page 3)
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-03-2012, 08:53 PM
What a horrible situation to be in, especially for the cat owner. From a dog owner's perspective - I would never allow my dog off-lead in a street or near homes. He was only every off lead in his own home, or walks that were not in immediate vicinity of anyone's house. As a cat owner, I hope would make sure the front gate was closed (and not easily opened by a dog) and/or the cat was as secure as possible. In fact my own cat is an indoor cat to keep her secure and safe (although I would consider letting her out if we ever moved to a house with enough land where the cat would not wander and or be relatively safe).
obbie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-03-2012, 09:39 PM
I understand some of Gnashers points.

If my dogs found a cat, caught it and killed it, everyone would be up in arms (quite rightly so).

A few weeks ago, my chickens were free ranging and a cat jumped into my garden and started stalking them.
If this cat had killed one of my chickens, I believe people would be thinking it is what cats do how unfortunate.

The rest of this scenario played out that the dogs went to see what the chickens were making such a fuss about, as I went to the window.
The dogs promptly chased the cat out of the garden; no harm came to any animals.

We all loathe the owners that let their dogs run around, distract our training, attack our dogs defecate and not pick it up, but it seems we turn a blind eye to cats doing “similar” things.

I feel sorry for the cat’s owners; no one should see that happen to their pet, no pet should have to go through that either.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2012, 11:52 PM
You are missing the point Abbie, the cat was in its own garden, the dog entered & killed the cat

A cat may have entered your garden, however no damage was done - that's the difference
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 12:06 PM
She isn't Velvetboxers, YOU are ... I believe I am right in saying that Abbie has told us that her chickens were free-ranging in their own garden. Apologies if I am wrong.

You are missing the point entirely - cats have even less respect for human boundaries than dogs do. They will enter anyone's garden, even their own house, and kill the pet budgie or parrot ... I know because this happened to my mother in law, who lost a budgie to a marauding cat who entered her house and killed it. Like me, she thought it cruel to keep birds in cages, and her budgies had the run of the downstairs of their house, with plastic string curtains to stop them from flying outside when the doors were open.

It still doesn't make it right of course that poor little Poppy was killed in such a way ... I am just trying to level the playing field here. In any case, presumably the gate to the property was open for the dog to have entered through in the first place - dogs have little idea of the concept of human boundaries, the dog would have seen Poppy and raced in. He should have been on a lead of course, which is the owner's fault, but then who keeps their cats on leads? No-one that I know of.
obbie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-03-2012, 05:57 PM
The chickens were in my back garden, that is completly fenced off with 7ft fences around.

Cats are a major reason we are losing wildlife, so are causing damage.

I have heard (so cant confirm) cats had attacked a chi puppy, pet rabbits, guinea pigs.

I dont think anyone is saying that cats are evil.

But I think that dogs have restrictions imposed, when cats should too.

I think I'm allowed to judge the actions of the cat, it doesnt make it ok that my chickens were not harmed.
What if my dogs had killed the cat that day, I wonder what would be said then.

I know I would be saying poor kitty, if only your owner was more responsable this would have been avaoided.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:25 PM
I don't think cats get the notion of boundaries and gardens and man has had more impact on bird populations than all the cats put together.
We knock down trees, build on green belt yet cats are the source of all evil, also cats never asked to be domesticated........
obbie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Its not the animals I'm blaming, they have no morals or responsability.
They may not know what is right, but owners should.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:57 PM
From the RSPB website:

Cats and the law

Domestic cats are protected by law and it is an offence to trap, injure or kill them.
The welfare of cats must not be ignored. Remember that cats, even if they are unwelcome in your garden, may be someone's much-loved pets, perhaps of a child or elderly person living alone.
Some people have called for legislation introduced to curb the freedom with which cats are allowed to roam. While we understand why people feel this way, we are not able to urge the government to introduce such legislation, as we have no scientific evidence of the impact of cat predation on bird populations that is strong enough to support such a call.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 11:32 AM
The RSPB present a very balanced view on cat predation on birds, and the effects on bird population.

They say that it is estimated that cats will kill around 55 million birds every year. However ... many of these birds would have died anyway through natural and other causes. Man of course has the most impact on bird populations of all, and are far more "guilty" of declining bird populations than cats IN THEMSELVES. However ...

who has domesticated the cat and brought him into an environment where he does not naturally occur ... man of course.

So man is doubly responsible for the declining bird populations on two counts. It is indeed not fair to blame the cat, and I don't. I blame people like my next door neighbours who live in the depths of the countryside with their 2 dogs and God knows how many cats, at least 4, and actually encourage birds into their garden by feeding them!! This sort of stupidity beggars belief.

Another however coming up ...

However ... I will still do everything I can to discourage cats from coming into my garden by allowing my dogs to chase them out if they are daft enough to come in. And, if one or more of next door's cats get caught by one of my dogs and injured or even killed, I do not expect the wrath of Valhallah to descend upon my head from next door. I would never do anything to harm their cats, other than squirt them with the hose if I catch them chasing my birds, but if my dogs hurt them, then tough titty ... you live by the sword, you die by the sword, cats kill birds, it is their nature to do so, and my dogs will chase cats that come into their garden, that is their nature and instinct also.

Funnily enough, when daughter came home with her dog and cat, provided the cat was in the house, she was quite safe, both our dogs accepted that she was part of the pack and to be left open. However, outside in the garden she was fair game, and they would regularly put the poor thing up onto the conservatory roof where she would glare down at them spitting hell fire, whilst they glared balefully back up at her.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top