Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Schapiro
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Puppy, water, urination, and diabetes?

5 1/2 month old Brogan has had his little submissive urination problem for a while now. I have not been concerned about it, as he has been getting better with it as he gets older, and it happens quite frequently with puppies.. My parents, however, thought differently. So, just for the sake of it, I took him to the vet on Friday to get a Urinalasis (not sure if I spelled that correctly) done. Everything came back perfectly normal, except that he has very dilute urine.
The vet mentioned that it could be a sign of Diabetes so of course, here I am, being overly concerned for the little boy.
I am about to call the vet and express my concern tomorrow, but I was looking for some dog-owner feedback as well, on what you may think.

He's growing quite fine-48.2lbs, not overweight at all, and not underweight-right where he should be. His energy levels are great, we go on walks and hikes daily, and he always has a good romp in the house/garden with our lab. He does, however, drink a good portion of water, and urinate quite frequently. Long urinations too-sometimes lasting at least a minute, and his urine is 90% of the time very clear. He gets 1.5 cups of Innova 3 times a day, and he really gobbles it down quickly. I've been hand-feeding him to slow him down, upgraded to a bigger bowl to spread it out a bit in there which makes him eat a bit slower, but when I put a tennis ball/rock in there for him to have to move around, he simply picks it up and moves out of the bowl.

Anyways, has anyone on here had a dog with Diabetes? I hope I am just being overly concerned and that he is just being a puppy.
I realize there's no way to tell until I ask for some bloodwork to be done on him, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask and see what anyone else had to say about it.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm no expert but I personally wouldn't be too worried if hes doing well in himself.

Dita also drinks a lot and pees frequently and her pee is also almost water colour during the day (her first pee of the morning is always yellow after not drinking during the night) and I put it down to water intake, the darker the urine the more dehydrated it suggest you are, so I'd just say he is well hydrated unless there is anything other to suggest there is a problem. If he was like that but not drinking much or dark but drinking a lot that would that would be a different matter.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 11:14 PM
At our vets, in the waiting room is a leaflet that contains a strip to test your own dog for diabetes at home, its free and because there are sometimes not many signs with it, it allows owners to check thier dogs without having to pay out to see a vet. Obviously if your test shows positive then you can book in to see the vet.
It may be worth you looking in your vets waiting room to see if they have them, that way you should have your answer or alternatively you can ask your vet to do a strip test by dropping off a sample when your passing. Thier strips will indicate if there is too much sugar in the urine too.
I havn't had to treat a dog for diabetes, but we have a guinea pig with it and the treatment would be the same. Insulin injections twice a day but a greater amount than the guinea pig.
Insulin is expensive though, but it does save pets lives.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 06:25 AM
Our old BC used to drink a great deal and pee a great deal and had very dilute urine.
It is probably only a concern with other symptoms and results.
If you are worried I would ask more of your vet, see if it is worth running a fasting blood test and just check things over to be on the safe side. Diabetes, if left unchecked can cause lots of problems.
Schapiro
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks guys.
I talked to his regular vet yesterday, who said that he thinks it to be very unlikely that the pup has diabetes (the vet whom had said it is a sign of this was a different vet because the regular one wasn't in). He assured me that if I was in doubt he could do some bloodwork to make sure, but really doesn't think it's a problem.
Again, thanks for your replies. They're all appreciated! I will most likely get some bloodwork done juuuuust to make sure that everything is okay-and if it isn't, then I'll do whatever I have to to keep my boy as healthy as I can, even if it means forking out a whole ton of money for insulin 2x a day.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Don't worry yourself over it. I'm sure everything will be fine.

((Big Hugs))

Heidi
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 07:21 AM
My dog was diagnosed as diabetic back in February this year. She had all the symptoms you describe. I bought some Diastix glucose test strips from a ( human )chemist and tested for sugar in her urine and yes it was high. Then I took her to the vet who confirmed it by a blood test.
Pups can get diabetes. I know someone with 2 labrador littermates who were diagnosed at 6 months of age. A simple urine test is quick - if its positive then I would then go back to your vet.
Diabetes is a very serious illness and cannot be cured only regulated.If u need any advice pm me.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Schapiro View Post
5 1/2 month old Brogan has had his little submissive urination problem for a while now. I have not been concerned about it, as he has been getting better with it as he gets older, and it happens quite frequently with puppies.. My parents, however, thought differently. So, just for the sake of it, I took him to the vet on Friday to get a Urinalasis (not sure if I spelled that correctly) done. Everything came back perfectly normal, except that he has very dilute urine.
The vet mentioned that it could be a sign of Diabetes so of course, here I am, being overly concerned for the little boy.
I am about to call the vet and express my concern tomorrow, but I was looking for some dog-owner feedback as well, on what you may think.

He's growing quite fine-48.2lbs, not overweight at all, and not underweight-right where he should be. His energy levels are great, we go on walks and hikes daily, and he always has a good romp in the house/garden with our lab. He does, however, drink a good portion of water, and urinate quite frequently. Long urinations too-sometimes lasting at least a minute, and his urine is 90% of the time very clear. He gets 1.5 cups of Innova 3 times a day, and he really gobbles it down quickly. I've been hand-feeding him to slow him down, upgraded to a bigger bowl to spread it out a bit in there which makes him eat a bit slower, but when I put a tennis ball/rock in there for him to have to move around, he simply picks it up and moves out of the bowl.

Anyways, has anyone on here had a dog with Diabetes? I hope I am just being overly concerned and that he is just being a puppy.
I realize there's no way to tell until I ask for some bloodwork to be done on him, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask and see what anyone else had to say about it.
Don't want to scare you. My Boxer had similar symptoms and the vet thought at first it was diabetes. The tests came back as diabetes insipidus. It's a hormonal thing! Jake did not have the hormone to dilute his urine so everything that went in one end came out the other! It's very rare though so probs your doggie will be fine. The vet put him on daily injections of the hormone and he was fine. I wasn't though I had to jab him everyday.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Schapiro View Post

If it is diabetes insipidus then it is very important that your doggie has access to water at all times. Our Jake would drink any fluid he came accross, even the toilet ! (sorry)
Best get him checked out asap.
Let us know how he gets on.
CathyS
New Member!
Female 

28-12-2011, 03:23 PM
I am brand new here. I am having the same issues with my lab puppy. He has been on three antibiotics which seems to help for a time, but it never goes away. My pup is 7 months and has always had these issues. Excessive drinking and sprinkling. The reason for the anitbiotics is because in his culture he showed a few crystals and an elevated alkaline level. He is fed a good food (Earthborn). The vet mentioned diabetes insipitus a few weeks ago , but his morning urine was concentrated, so he didn't bring it up again. My answer is always the same when asked his symtoms, he seems to produce much more urine then his intake. Should he be tested for this? Is it expensive?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >