Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
padogguy
New Member!
Male 

25-01-2017, 04:54 AM

Dog has tumor

We have a 15 year old dog who is nearing the end. Trying to get some feedback from any folks who have been down this road. She is peeing in the house once or twice a week, but it's not too bad but she lays in it for a little so she needs a quick bath, also not a big deal.

She is very dehydrated and always trying to drink. When we take her our if it has been raining or snowing she makes a beeline for any puddles. In side we are trying to monitor her water as she would just drink and drink and drink then she would end up peeing in the house.

About a month and half ago, the vet recommended an ultra sound and they found a 6.5cm diameter tumor involving the right adrenal gland. It seems big but I'm no vet (this is an 80 lbs dog).

So we know the end is near but right now she is showing no signs of pain, but she never has. She is getting around decent, she has slowed down a lot and sometimes has trouble getting up from laying down. But we are trying to get some feedback from pet owners who have been down this road. I wish I knew if she was in pain or not. With a 6.5cm tumor, could she be in pain? The constant need to drink may also indicate she isn't very comfortable. Just a hard decision to make.

Thanks
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2017, 06:59 AM
Difficult. Very difficult. You seem to be doing the best for her. But it's your decision and it won't be easy. Not something you can sugar coat.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2017, 07:17 AM
Yes, agreed. If she is still eating and managing to show interest in life then i would say she is not in chronic pain. Howevrr the constant thirst must be awful for her. For once I cant say which way I personally would go ... its an awful situation for you and im so sorry for both you and your dog x
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2017, 08:44 AM
No experience of this particular cancer tbh but personally I wouldn't allow my dog to become dehydrated, I know great thirst is a symptom of the disease but witholding water to prevent peeing inside isn't really fair on the dog. I'd rather put incontinence pants on her and change the pad as needed than restrict the water intake to the point of dehydration. I don't really see the point of knowing the size of the tumour unless they plan to operate and that's highly unlikely on a dog of 15.
I'd be thinking euthanasia is the best option for the dog, it's inevitable anyway so why wait till she shows signs of pain? That is a situation I've been in and I know without doubt I did the right thing for my dog,it broke my heart to do but my feelings don't matter in such circumstances, it has to be what's best for the dog. I'd be having a long chat with my vet.
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-01-2017, 12:03 PM
I also think you need a chat with the vet.

Is your dog still showing interest in things? Still engaging with you? Or has she disengaged from life? This are things you need to ask yourself.

But I agree, don't keep her from drinking. Dealing with the pee is not the end of the world and being constantly thirsty is no fun.

As for the big decision, only you can make it. But if you do decide to let her go, it doesn't make you a bad owner. It's the last gift you can give your dog; to let her go peacefully when she is ready.