Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2010, 04:54 PM

Dutch has swallowed a sock

I got back at about 3.30 today, my brother decides to stroll into the living room and inform me that at 11 this morning Dutch ate a sock... dont get my started on why he left it until now to tell me

anyway, how serious is it?
he's eating, weeing & pooing normally and he's fine in himself, still playful, etc.

im gonna pop him to the vets in the morning i think, just wanted abit of advice really?

thanks x
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 04:56 PM
I would take him to the vets asap. It could cause a blockage. I don't want to worry you but it's best to get it checked asap. Or at least ring the vets for advice. Good luck xxx
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 04:58 PM
My friends dog ate a sock too. I would definately go to the vet or at least call them for advice. Their dog threw it up a day or two later (along with a pair of knickers!) but the vet said it could have caused big problems if it hadn't come out
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2010, 05:02 PM
thanks guys, just going to ring the vet now, this is all i need,
last week he ate a box of chocolates now this!!

Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by fayeily View Post
I got back at about 3.30 today, my brother decides to stroll into the living room and inform me that at 11 this morning Dutch ate a sock... dont get my started on why he left it until now to tell me

anyway, how serious is it?
he's eating, weeing & pooing normally and he's fine in himself, still playful, etc.

im gonna pop him to the vets in the morning i think, just wanted abit of advice really?

thanks x
Well as an expert on a couple of sock eating dogs, dont panic yet.

Usually they will come out from one end or the other.. beleive me, they can poo socks..of all sizes and all descriptions....pop socks beign the worse, they stretch on dispatch.. and need a little helping hand from an owner.

Seriously though just keep an eye on him, he may sick it up tomorrow, if he does not eat his b/fast dont panic to much, give him a day to self rid the thing.

If he goes off colour, and refused food for longer than a day , then pop him to the vets.

I have a 11 yr old that frequently eats the things (along with knickers) they have never got stuck yet, that does not mean they wont or cant, but I can usually tell when my boy has eaten one, he goes off his breakfast, and spends a lot of time outside eating grass, OR he has sicked it up in the night.

Just watch him for a day or two, but if you are worried pop him to the vets...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-12-2010, 05:05 PM
thanks guys, just going to ring the vet now, this is all i need,
last week he ate a box of chocolates now this!!

Don't panic, wait and see how he is tomorrow,
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Hope the sock reappears soon and Dutch is ok.
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Well as an expert on a couple of sock eating dogs, dont panic yet.

Usually they will come out from one end or the other.. beleive me, they can poo socks..of all sizes and all descriptions....pop socks beign the worse, they stretch on dispatch.. and need a little helping hand from an owner.

Seriously though just keep an eye on him, he may sick it up tomorrow, if he does not eat his b/fast dont panic to much, give him a day to self rid the thing.

If he goes off colour, and refused food for longer than a day , then pop him to the vets.

I have a 11 yr old that frequently eats the things (along with knickers) they have never got stuck yet, that does not mean they wont or cant, but I can usually tell when my boy has eaten one, he goes off his breakfast, and spends a lot of time outside eating grass, OR he has sicked it up in the night.

Just watch him for a day or two, but if you are worried pop him to the vets...
thanks for this! Dutch actually ate a pop sock a good couple of months ago. It was in him for a week before he threw it back up, i didnt even know he'd swallowed it!
I was just really starting to worry, cant get through to the vet at the mo, might leave it now until morning and see.
thanks again.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Hope Dutch will be ok and the sock re- appears x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-12-2010, 05:15 PM
thanks for this! Dutch actually ate a pop sock a good couple of months ago. It was in him for a week before he threw it back up, i didnt even know he'd swallowed it!
I was just really starting to worry, cant get through to the vet at the mo, might leave it now until morning and see.
thanks again.
That's OK, as long as you are aware it can cause blockages, but if you keep an eye on him, and watch is behaviour then hopefully he will be fine.

Sometimes as you say, they dont come back out for a while, but just be vigilant with his poo`s, and watch his appetite. and make sure he is pooing!

Keep us posted !!

Again if you feel worried speak to your vet in the morning.. to put your mind at rest.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >