View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirstym90
New Member!
Female 

21-09-2010, 07:52 PM

Constant shaking in one or all legs, possible nerve/joint problems? New dog.

Hi,
I only joined the other day but already some advice would come in handy. I'm pretty good with general knowledge of animal (and specifically dog) health but because I've only had Macks a couple of weeks, and he's my first sole-responsiblity dog in my life, I seem to be constantly worrying.

I had him checked as soon as I got him; his nails are too long but I'm trying to wear them down before getting them clipped, as he's still nervous. However, his legs are constantly twitching/shaking. Sometimes even when he's asleep/lying down. He's not in any pain as I've felt his legs and he doesn't whimper or cry.

He's in good condition apart from this; his temperament is wonderful, his confidence is improving, he's on flea & worm treatment, his appetite is good (apart from a few days ago when he left his food almost all day and had stomach grumbles, but he returned to normal after he slept and drank water - I read that sometimes dogs can just have a loud grumbly stomach and it doesn't necessarily mean they're sick). But anyway, I'm just wondering whether this twitch is serious? I've been told to leave it another week or so in case it's still just nerves of settling in to a good home for once, and adjusting, or that perhaps it's an early onset of arthritis or maybe a side effect of his mixed breed?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
K
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 08:23 PM
You already said what I was going to say...leave it for a few more days until he settles down more
It could be that he's still a little stressed with it all.
With the grumbling belly sometimes mine get that and then they are fine, and othertimes its a runny bum , so again he could just be settling in

Best wishes with him
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi there - I know how worrying dogs can be, and even if you have owned several the panics never quite go away!!

Some dogs do "dither", and there is no medical reason - it's just what they do. Our dog has one front leg that will shake uncontrollably at times, and the only way to stop it is to grasp it firmly!! Also, when he is asleep he will twitch quite alarmingly (it seems a bit like when we are asleep and suddenly jerk for no reason) - it affects all four legs sometimes, but does not bother him in the slightest.
kirstym90
New Member!
Female 

21-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks very much guys; rational thinking.
Youngstevie; yeah, his stomach was just a little dodgy that day. And Bitkin, yeah mine is so jerky in sleep sometimes he'll wake us up when he's snuck up onto the bed.
I like to think I'm rational enough not to worry too much, but I guess it's like having a big, furry baby!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 11:36 PM
My greyhound shook a lot when we first got her. She shook when she went to the toilet and when she was trying to lie down. It's got better with time but she still does it.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 05:59 AM
I wouldn't be unduly worried at this stage - settling in may calm the problem down....