Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bellasmummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2010, 10:08 PM

Puppy putting face in water bowl

Puppy has been acting very strange today, mainly barking excessively at me and biting me/ This evening she has been putting her face in her water bowl and keeping it there for a few seconds then coming up and doing it again. She has also been putting her feet in there too - which she hasn't really done intentionally before.

I don't know why she's doing this and getting worried. Anyone else has experienced this at all by any chance?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
Puppy has been acting very strange today, mainly barking excessively at me and biting me/ This evening she has been putting her face in her water bowl and keeping it there for a few seconds then coming up and doing it again. She has also been putting her feet in there too - which she hasn't really done intentionally before.

I don't know why she's doing this and getting worried. Anyone else has experienced this at all by any chance?
Hi Rou all normal puppy behaviour, is this your first puppy?

The barking and biting is a way of instigating play.
The 'play biting' gives you a valuable opportunity to teach your puppy 'bite inhibition' ,to bite evermore gently then not at all . Teaching bite inhibition ensures that as the puppy grows up and develops powerful jaws, should she bite for any reason (say she is in in pain/at the vets being treated /gets accidentally hurt like standing on her tail) she will have learnt never to sink her teeth into human skin.

Bite inhibition, learning to developer a 'soft mouth' is one of the most important lessons you can teach your puppy, however teaching it takes time and patience and success won't be achieved in just a few days . Also everyone in the household needs to adopt the same approach.

Link to teaching bite inhibition ..click here

Regarding the water, puppies can sometimes see a reflection in the water bowl, then they can get excited and bark/paw at the bowl. Sometimes there may be a bit of dirt in the bowl and it will move about in the water and the puppy wil try to get it out. Some puppies just like playing in water If you are a happy puppy life is one big game..
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 10:48 PM
I've had litters of pups all digging away in a water bowl.....luckily not a big bowl with not a lot of water in, really strange to watch.
Bellasmummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Rou all normal puppy behaviour, is this your first puppy?
Hi Meg First puppy, have had her for 5 weeks and she's coming up to 15. I am a very nervous puppy owner I am sorry to say. It hasn't helped that she was unwell a few weeks ago and then she was attacked by a Border Collie a few days ago. I just wish I were doing better by her.
Bellasmummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
I've had litters of pups all digging away in a water bowl.....luckily not a big bowl with not a lot of water in, really strange to watch.
Thank you I found it strange and worrying, thought she was drowning herself.
Meg
Supervisor

23-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
Hi Meg First puppy, have had her for 5 weeks and she's coming up to 15. I am a very nervous puppy owner I am sorry to say. It hasn't helped that she was unwell a few weeks ago and then she was attacked by a Border Collie a few days ago. I just wish I were doing better by her.
Hi Rou relax and enjoy Bella , she will be an adult all too soon. I am sure you are doing just fine and you have the people on Dogsey to help you out

Try putting a large round stone in the water bowl, paddling won't be so easy then and it will break any reflection
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Rou relax and enjoy Bella , she will be an adult all too soon. I am sure you are doing just fine and you have the people on Dogsey to help you out

Try putting a large round stone in the water bowl, paddling won't be so easy then and it will break any reflection
That's what mine were digging in... they seemed to enjoy it though and it didn't last long, the litter we have now, the pups have had a paddle but thankfully no digging.
Meg
Supervisor

24-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers View Post
That's what mine were digging in... they seemed to enjoy it though and it didn't last long, the litter we have now, the pups have had a paddle but thankfully no digging.
Hi CC I love to watch puppies playing in water, I know they make a mess but it is all part of their exploring the world isn't it .

Most grow out of it once the novelty has worn off
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 02:03 PM
I love to see them play with water. My first dog - not a puppy but obviously never walked properly - had to be introduced to all sorts of things. The first time she saw running water in a stream she spent half an hour in complete ecstacy, chasing and splashing and biting the water. It was wonderful.
Bellasmummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Many thanks for you replies

That was a one off but feel so much more re-assured in vase it happens again.

Thanks again and sorry for the silly questions
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >