Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:54 AM

Which food shall I get?

Hi everyone, i now want to change my puppy's food. He is 4 1/2 months and he is on beta - i want to put him on a better food.
I know dalmatians should have a diet with a protein value of 20% or lower, but does it matter how high the protein is when they are still growing up to a year old. I was told they need a high protein diet - is this correct.
Also what feed would you recommend ?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 10:02 AM
I switch to a Junior food at about that time then adult at 6 months.

I rate Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved, Wafcol, Skinners (duck and salmon...not the rest of their foods) and have heard good things about Fish4Dogs.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-02-2010, 11:52 AM
There is little if any proof that ''better'' foods are any better for dogs. It is mostly marketing hype based on speculation about the ingredients. What there is proof of is that too much and too rich of food isn't good for large breed puppies. I see excellent results in the dog guide program I have bee a part of for a long time. You should be feeding a puppy chow now. Switching to an adult chow for the larger breeds at 4 months, slows growth and helps develop sturdier joints.

Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs.

There is much more to it than protein level. Calcium is much more important. Puppies can deal with excess protein, but not calcium. Make sure any food has less than 1.5% calcium by analysis.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
There is little if any proof that ''better'' foods are any better for dogs. It is mostly marketing hype based on speculation about the ingredients. What there is proof of is that too much and too rich of food isn't good for large breed puppies. I see excellent results in the dog guide program I have bee a part of for a long time. You should be feeding a puppy chow now. Switching to an adult chow for the larger breeds at 4 months, slows growth and helps develop sturdier joints.

Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs.

There is much more to it than protein level. Calcium is much more important. Puppies can deal with excess protein, but not calcium. Make sure any food has less than 1.5% calcium by analysis.
Labman - your usual scripted reply is less than helpful here. If you read the original post, you will see that Annspot80 is specifically referring to a Dalmatian and advice is sometimes given to feed a low protein diet to a Dalmatian because of the tendency of some to form urinary stones because of the way they metabolise purines (i.e. the conversion of uric acid to allantoin doesn't happen).

Annspot80 - I'm assuming that this is why you've been given the advice to feed a low protein diet? I think it is a low purine diet/moderate, high quality protein diet, rather than simply a low protein diet, that is required. Is there a breed club that might be able to clarify further for you?

This might be helpful information for you, although it is heavily biased in favour of a Hills diet which is not recommended for puppies:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_uric_acid_stones_in_dalmatians.html

In this link (written by a food company), it recommends that puppies be fed a normal diet with usual protein levels:

http://www.europa-pet-food.co.uk/pdfs/Dalmatians%20and%20Uric%20Acid%20Imbalance.pdf
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks lucky star for those links, they were helpful, and interesting.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Burns and Luaths are low in protein, both 18% I think. A lot of the decent premium foods have quite high protein unfortunately. I would be leaning towards burns, or better still, homemade or raw. Wet foods have lower protein than dry food incidentally, and JWB, Natures menu and Nature diet are all very good wet foods.