Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 09:55 PM

An update on my cat problem

As some of you may have seen i have problems with cats in my garden.

In the space of a week i've tried the following:

Orange Peel
Spray stuff from garden centre
Plastic bottles
Covering with netting

and the bloomin thing still manages to c**p on my garden!

Anyway today i caught it, not literally but i saw it! A bloomin great black cat - whoever said black cats are lucky had obviously never met this one!

So i thought i'd read a little bit about how a cats mind works and rumour has it they stay away from each other's patches. So here's my next plan:

Place a fake cat somewhere in the garden and move it everyday so it thinks there is another cat in the garden

OR

Buy some fake birds i.e eagles and other such big birds, maybe even an ostrich!! Then strategically place them where i know the cat gets in and some other places and see if it deters them.

Do either of these sound sensible or likely to work?

Rich thinks i've lost the plot as i've been sat on Ebay looking for fake giant plastic birds and reading about cat psycholigy. I think he's half expecting to get up in the morning and find me in camoflage on a stake out in the garden tomorrow!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 10:26 PM
They say the false ones work ....cats I mean.

Best of luck
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-04-2009, 11:03 PM
I find having the biggest cats tends to keep all the other cats away. No idea where mine poop though.

We've found the pepper stuff that you sprinkle works but not for all cats.

At the risk of sounding silly I know 'big cat' poo works. By 'big' I mean like lions, tigers, etc etc. I saw it for sale in bags once and a few bits left around under shrubs etc is meant to put the fear of god into visiting moggies.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I find having the biggest cats tends to keep all the other cats away. No idea where mine poop though.
Same here, a neighbourhood cat wouldnt dare come into my garden, my lot would see to that.

Dont suppose you would consider getting a cat of your own? Cats are very territorial (sp) so wont allow strange cats near the house. (although that may not solve the bin problem)

The fake one might work for a while but think they may suss it out after a while.

Good luck!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 07:39 AM
Couldn't get a cat as I doubt Monty would get on with it! And also I just couldn't feel the same love towards a cat as I do the dog - cats make me very nervous!

This lion poo stuff seems quite expensive. Is it really worth the money and will it affect the growth of my veggies?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Couldn't get a cat as I doubt Monty would get on with it! And also I just couldn't feel the same love towards a cat as I do the dog - cats make me very nervous!

This lion poo stuff seems quite expensive. Is it really worth the money and will it affect the growth of my veggies?
Not sure about Lion Poo around veg.....as they are meat eaters.

Maybe this is something you could check at a garden centre. Hope you get to resolve it
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 11:25 AM
If if was a normal flower bed then it would be a lot easier to do as I could use different sprays but because it's my veggie patch I have to be really careful what I put on it. I'm thinking of building a net style frame this weekend.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Having a cat is the best way of keeping cats out of your garden . I have 2 cats and never have any cats in my garden other than my own . If you try the fake cats maybe you could rub them over with the scent of a real cat if you have any friends with cats .
The other thing is you could try planting prickly plants round the border of your garden the cats may not like it
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Having a cat is the best way of keeping cats out of your garden .
I find having 4 dogs and a large dog-flap is also an excellent way of keeping cats out of the garden! It also keeps the dogs fit and amused.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I find having 4 dogs and a large dog-flap is also an excellent way of keeping cats out of the garden! It also keeps the dogs fit and amused.

Hehe, I don't think a cat would dare come in our garden with Jess about either

Saying that... we have had a visiting hedgehog and she just stands there staring at it lol.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >