Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Juliem25
New Member!
Female 

06-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Prednisolone instead of medrone?

hi,

My dog has been on medrone V 4mg for two years...
she is quite old now and the vets wont give us a repeat perscription unless we take her in to see them.

Her condition hasnt changed and wont do really she has a tumor which is untreatable and the medrone just keeps her comfortable... it is very hard for us to get her to the vet and very stressful for her.

I am just wondering if anyone knows if she could have predisinolone intead of the medrone? As I have heard they are almost identical?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Juliem25 View Post
hi,

My dog has been on medrone V 4mg for two years...
she is quite old now and the vets wont give us a repeat perscription unless we take her in to see them.

Her condition hasnt changed and wont do really she has a tumor which is untreatable and the medrone just keeps her comfortable... it is very hard for us to get her to the vet and very stressful for her.

I am just wondering if anyone knows if she could have predisinolone intead of the medrone? As I have heard they are almost identical?
hi
{{hugs}} to you both.
yes you could give preds instead of medrone v but it doesnt really solve your problem unless your vet will give you a prescription without seeing her(if she has been in the last 3months you should be able to pick tabs up anyway) the 'rules' are not layed down by the vet
Juliem25
New Member!
Female 

06-02-2010, 04:45 PM
she hasnt been for 6 months.... so they say it is the law that we have to take her.

I could understand taking her if her condition has changed but its just best for her not to take her shes such a stress head bless.

i can get hold of preds just wondered if they were the same thing

We might just have to arrange a home visit I think

Thanks
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 04:55 PM
she hasnt been for 6 months.... so they say it is the law that we have to take her.

I could understand taking her if her condition has changed but its just best for her not to take her shes such a stress head bless.

i can get hold of preds just wondered if they were the same thing
We might just have to arrange a home visit I think

Thanks
you cannot self medicate her.
i appreciate the situation you are in,but the vet has to follow rules too,the check up is really in your girlies interest ,i know it sounds like they are being awkward, because it is 'palliative treatment' she is having, but steroids and other meds and her condition can have other effects that you are unable to see,ideally she should have a blood test(only uncomfortable for a few moments)to check her organ function.that or at least a ghc.
Juliem25
New Member!
Female 

06-02-2010, 05:09 PM
I think we will get the vets to come and check her out at home, less stressful

Thanks
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 05:18 PM
I think we will get the vets to come and check her out at home, less stressful

Thanks
I can't answer your original question, but just wanted to say that I think you're doing the right thing. I know its awful when they find the vets so stressful, but it really is in her best interest.

Hugs to you and your girl