Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
janiejakemum
New Member!
Female 

02-06-2008, 10:16 AM

How do i encourage undercoat?

Hi, I am new here this is my first post so please be gentle with me.

I have an Irish Terrier who is about 10 months old now and i decided to groom her myself, i have only ever had short coated breeds before so am on quite a learning curve.

Initailly i visited a pet groomer who showed me how she grooms Irish Terriers, she showed me how to use a coat king for her body, scissor the shape to her legs and belly and we clipped her head/ears lady bits with clippers.

I have since done a lot more research and decided to get her coat better i should hand strip so this is what i did, i have managed to hand strip her, the bits that were previously clipped i am struggling with but thats not my current concern. When i striped off her top coat it has left her a lovley red colour which is the undercoat but its not very thick atall, i have read that in this breed it should be difficult to see her skin when you part her undercoat - this certainly isnt the case with Tess.

The reason i have changed the way i want to groom her overall is because of the colour, her head (previously clipped) is blonde whereas the bits i have now handstripped are lovely and red, you can see just by looking at her which bits have been trimmed and not stripped.

This was her first strip down to undercoat so maybe the undercoat will now thicken?, can i do anything to help her?, she is currently having her first season so her coat may well change after this. What do you think?

Thanks for reading.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Most breeds with thick undercoats will lose some or all of it, before/during/following a season, so at the moment, it probably won't be at it's best anyway.

I would wait until her season has finished, give her a few weeks after that and see if it has improved naturally by then
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Bad Bad groomer to use a coat king. As you have probably found out from research (well done you for doing that), this will ruin the coat eventually on a terrier. Yes, the undercoat should thicken up with time if you keep on stripping. She's still very young, and sometimes these coats need a bit of encouragement, but you sound like you are heading in the right direction. Work on the head too, as it gets a bit longer, just pluck out a small amount at a time, to get her used to having her head stripped. Oh and the legs, same principle. As she is young the colour and texture will come back in time.
Out of interest, did the groomer give a reason why she scissored the legs, clipped the head AND used a coat king on the coat? I sincerely hope she did NOT charge you for a hand strip.
Sorry for the rant, but groomers like this really, really make my blood boil
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2008, 11:01 PM
I only use a coat king on a castrated/spayed dog and I'd certainly nt reccomend them. Having said that hand stripping iis very hard work and a lot of my customers prefer me to clippers as its a lot cheaper as takes less time.
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-06-2008, 04:53 AM
Opposite for me. I have only 3 clients who have their terriers clipped (excluding westies), the rest have them stripped, it actually doesn't take me much longer that a clip and scissor. But my point was the groomer just appeared to have gone with her method without proper consultation, and I hope they are not fobbing people off by saying that this is how you hand strip