Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kathy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2007, 09:18 PM

Need advice on raw diet

I have been feeding Royal Canin Puppy but Rio is 13months old now and I have been thinking of changing to another food as I have it delivered and can only have minimum of 15kg and it is difficult to find a retailer. Have tried samples of various other brands mixed in with his usual RC but he just picks the new food out of it and leaves it. Today in desperation I bought some sac hets of Natures Menu and it says it is complete. Would like to know what you think about feeding this alone or would you always add something else. The only sample he gobbled up was Autarky and as I hadnt heard of it I wondered if anyone has experience of using this
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Autarky was fine for mine a long time ago Haven't heard bad reports of it, unless someone knows better
Yes natures menu and naturediet are complete foods so no need to add any complete kibble You should do the changeover from one complete to another at a slow pace though so as not to cause any upset tummies, adding a bit at a time to his usual meal until such time the change over is complete (if you pardon the pun )
HTH
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 09:53 PM
This food is great (the raw) but you will have to give recreational bones or similar as you will be feeding soft food all the time and the dog will have nothing to keep the plaque of the teeth which leads to nasty peridontal disease etc. So just bear this in mind
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Don't forget about our Raw Feeders section on here;
http://www.dogsey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218

What about changing to a proper raw diet? It can work out less expensive than buying Natures menu. Plus better for your dogs teeth etc.

To start you'd just need to buy a chicken (or pork, beef, lamb etc etc), chop it into quarters/half and toss some to your dog.

Keep him on one protein source for a week or two and introduce new meats one at a time slowly.

I'll not go more into it incase this method of feeding doesn't interest you; but if you want anymore info there's lots of raw feeders on here that are willing to advise and share their experiences.
kathy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your posts. I will keep in mind the bones as this was something that bothered me he likes to crunch and I was worried he would get fed up of all soft food
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2007, 09:49 PM
mine never get fed up of soft food,today was mince day,and i have to stand in between them with mince in case a row breaks out but lukly there was none,but i wouldnt like to be our postman when the dogs have there bones xx
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Dogs have an instinctive desire to eat nutrient-rich green tripe. When they eat tripe, they receive nutrients from grasses and grains that have been already processed naturally by the cow's stomach system. Also present within the tripe are naturally occurring gastric juices, amino acids and other digestive enzymes not found in other pet food. These gastric juices and enzymes aid pets in digestion to help pull the maximum amount of nutrients from their diet. Amino acids are necessary for muscular development and the gastric juices are excellent cleaners for teeth
Sounds good to me