Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-11-2016, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Bought my poppy from the seller outside Asda.
I can't get my head around some of the things Corbyn comes out with, the man's back in the '60's. Wants to re-open the Coal Mines, oh really, and who's going to work in them. Can't see young lads and men wanting to. They don't want jobs where they'll get dirty and ruin their hair.
When I had all those failed coal deliveries it was because they took on new people, who jacked it in within an hour or so because they couldn't do the work involved. So working at the coal face is a heck of a lot tougher, and more dangerous, than delivering it!!!
Corbyn needs to wake up to the world he lives in. He lives in a house worth nearly a million, so not totally in the '60's is he, just when it sounds good to his hangers on
I don't know if you have ever been in a mine. I have. The blackness is beyond comprehension. Stygian. You really can't see your hand in front of your face.

In the face of cheap coal imports it seemed inevitable that there would be mine closures and I think that all the deep mines have now closed.

Re-opening the mines is probably not a viable option in many cases because of flooding and possibly other problems.

But, back to poppies. We should be free to wear them or not without being stigmatised.

War is a nasty affair but somebody has to do it if war is declared. I've heard a few stories from relatives although most of them didn't talk about it very much. Perhaps understandably.

Now and again, when my father's brother, Uncle A, came to stay, they would discuss some experiences they had in WWII.

Some of the stories weren't altogether pleasant but a slightly amusing if the moderator will permit me to share it.

Uncle was taken POW but he and another escaped and were on the run for two years. One day they were sitting down by the roadside eating and a loud, racous noise came over the wall behind them.

Of course, they jumped up, guns at the ready. It was a braying donkey......
spot
Dogsey Veteran

27-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Just a few comments I've read recently make me wonder ?
I wear a ceramic poppy and my dogs wear poppy dog tags both came from the poppy shop run by The Royal British legion so why should I feel bad for not wearing a rubbishy paper one? Especially as it cost far more than most people put in a tin for their paper poppy.
I'm not offended, just bewildered by the comments tbh.
I have relatives now departed that fought on both sides during WW2 so I'm hardly being disrespectful. Also my younger son was challenged at work the other day for not wearing a poppy, why is everyone so judgemental these days?
Couple of things - so wearing a 'rubbishy' paper one is somewhat less than a ceramic one and could you tell me just how much most people put in the tin for their 'rubbish' paper poppy and how much do they cost to manufacture - just wondering where these statistics come from?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

27-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Bought my poppy from the seller outside Asda.
I can't get my head around some of the things Corbyn comes out with, the man's back in the '60's. Wants to re-open the Coal Mines, oh really, and who's going to work in them. Can't see young lads and men wanting to. They don't want jobs where they'll get dirty and ruin their hair.
When I had all those failed coal deliveries it was because they took on new people, who jacked it in within an hour or so because they couldn't do the work involved. So working at the coal face is a heck of a lot tougher, and more dangerous, than delivering it!!!
Corbyn needs to wake up to the world he lives in. He lives in a house worth nearly a million, so not totally in the '60's is he, just when it sounds good to his hangers on
Those man and women who fought so hard and for so long to keep their jobs, there families and their communities together when thatcher decided that any sort of worker strength needed to be cut off at the knees would be weeping at those sentiments! Yes his house has double it's value since he bought it 10 years ago - so what should he do about it - why is that so wrong?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2016, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Couple of things - so wearing a 'rubbishy' paper one is somewhat less than a ceramic one and could you tell me just how much most people put in the tin for their 'rubbish' paper poppy and how much do they cost to manufacture - just wondering where these statistics come from?
Bit late to the party and no I won't dignify your snotty comments with a reply.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3