Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
So. The answer to your question is yes. You do. When? Whenever! It is not exactly on private property, is it.
It is, sort of, as there is a strand of barbed wire a few feet in front of the chain link fence, in front of the nettles. But I don't like things going to waste either. I'd have loved that grey-skinned pumpkin last year (Crown Prince, I think). The grey pumpkins are my favourite, so much more flavour than the orange ones you get in the supermarkets (grown for size for Hallowe'en, not for taste - they are quite tasteless in fact).

It's big, it's yellow.... so when are they ready? I can be down there with my torch at midnight....
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
It is, sort of, as there is a strand of barbed wire a few feet in front of the chain link fence, in front of the nettles. But I don't like things going to waste either. I'd have loved that grey-skinned pumpkin last year (Crown Prince, I think).

It's big, it's yellow, so when are they ready?
Whenever you are, I guess

You say it is "this side of the fence" - what is the barbed wire for? If there are cow in the field through which the footpaths go, then presumably the fence is the edge of the garden, and so maybe the strand of barbed wire is to stop the cows from knocking the fence down.

Is it ethical? I suppose you should really knock on the door and ask if you can please have the wayward squash, but chances are they will not know anything about it, and you say that last year the wayward pumpkins were destroyed by frost.

So ethical? Probably as ethical as scrumping. But leaving it to rot is not ethical either.

I know what I would do but then I'se a real mean stingy old woman
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
So ethical? Probably as ethical as scrumping. But leaving it to rot is not ethical either.
Scrumping is a tradition as old as apples themselves in this county. I was out helping myself from people's orchards as young as 10. Most of them go to rot as well, so this year I've set myself up to get at least a few kilos of chutney out of it Already got 9lbs of plum jam.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2