View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Skinners is excellent value for money. Their salmon and rice and duck and rice formulas are on par ingredients wise with foods such a James Wellbeloved, yet are half the price. Highly recommened. Their customer services is also brilliant and it is a family owned business - another bonus.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 11:38 PM
I feed raw and usually spend £10.00 per month on my dog. I get free bones from my butchers, and only pay for hearts, other offal, the occassional box of chicken wings (when I'm running low) and the odd tub of natural yogurt, for healthy tums. It would cost me about £40.00 per month to feed a good quality dry food. Raw is cheaper (even if you don't get free bones!)

Just got two bags of bones from the butcher when I did my shopping today. There's enough to feed Loki for eighteen days ( pork and chicken bones), plus fasting days, plus three marrow bones for his entertainment. Will also pop down to Morrisons for his offal.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by tupence2p View Post
Mine does really well on Wagg, it's about £9 for 15KG from Tesco. His coat is healthy and shiny, he has plenty energy and it maintains his weight well.

I was about to say the very same thing.

I've fed all sorts over the years from the most expensive to the cheapest.

I bought a bag of Wagg one day and they wolfed it down.

As Tesco sold it, I found it easy to get hold of and because they liked it, Wagg became our 'reserve' food. I used to be a dog food snob and because it was stocked by Tesco I was sceptical.

Anyway, one time Skye was off his food I tried some of the reserve Wagg we had stored. He ate it without any fuss so the next day I went and bought a big bag.

For a week or so all three ate the Wagg so I thought i'd give it a go. A few years later Skye, Final and now Breagh are all eating it. Skye's teeth have gone from yellow back to white, the doggy breath is gone and they all have gleaming coats.

It may be cheap £8 for 15KG (£6 for 18KG at cash and carry) but my lot simply thrive on it.

PS

If I'm ever out of cat food - all four of my cats are also happy with a wee scoop. That said they like 'original' but not 'worker' but hey - that's cats for you.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I feed raw and usually spend £10.00 per month on my dog.
I agree, raw can be surprisingly cheap if you take the time to find the right suppliers.

With raw, you can really make it as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. All a dog needs is animal parts, whether that's cheap lung, heads, green (unprocessed) tripe etc from the abattoir or expensive roast joints from the supermarket!

I was also surprised to see how cheap Landywoods prices were..... Chunked Breast of Lamb on the bone 454g for 75p ..... is that really right? If so, that's an absolute bargain and just has to be cheaper than any commerical food I know of!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 07:49 PM
I too was surprised at how cheap Landywoods was when I finally checked out their website the other day. If I had the facilities to store it in bulk, i'd make the full switch to raw.
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi, we feed our lot on Dodson and Horrell Chudleys. 6 of the dogs are on the original and Bruno get the sensitive. It is about £13 for a 15kg bag of the original and £18 for the sensitive. They are doing very well on it, and Bruno has not had any skin problems since he went onto the sensitive- he has a gluten allergy.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
I was also surprised to see how cheap Landywoods prices were..... Chunked Breast of Lamb on the bone 454g for 75p ..... is that really right? If so, that's an absolute bargain and just has to be cheaper than any commerical food I know of!

Yes thats really right

and the dogs love it!!

They used to do shin of beef too and the dogs LOVED that but sadly its not supplied anymore..
Colley1275
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2008, 03:01 PM
HI there,

I feed Supa Valu Chicken complete for all my three. I have no wind issues, even with the Weimaraner. Its 10.45 for 15KGS from Pets at Home. Its made by Burgess, but its NOT Supa Dog (I tried them on that and it gave them terrible wind)

I used to feed Arden Grange, great food, can't fault it, but money has got tight for us too and when you have three dogs to feed I too had to find an alternative.

I was recommended the Supa Valu Chicken (or Greyhound) by a friend who bred my Border Collie, she feeds all hers on it and they all look very good on it too.

Not sure whether it would be suitable for your breed, but dont see why not.

Hope this helps - thanks
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-09-2008, 10:30 AM
I think Harringtons (from Asda) is a great budget food. Tun is fed raw/nutro but I bought a bag of Harringtons the other day to see if he liked it. It is oilier than the nutro and the meat content isnt as good but the key for me is it doesnt have any artificial flavours or colourings. It doesnt mention any preservatives either but that doesnt mean to say it doesnt have any. It has a bit of 'processed' taste to it compared to the meatier tasting nutro (i tried it, cmon who hasnt tasted their dogs food? )

Tun loved it but he has been scratching a bit and his coats gone a bit flaky which is v unusual for him. It does have a high maize content which someone has suggest can cause an itchy reaction so I wont be changing over and just finish off the bag.

But if your dogs is ok on it then it is the best quality i think for the money!
bluekat
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 09:10 PM
any recommendations on best price online for Chappie complete, and not get stung by hefty p+p ?
thanks
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >