Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Wow Dave! That's pretty amazing. I wouldn't have thought of something like that. My younger dog is TERRIFIED of those beeps. When we first got him and he was still destructive and so crated when we were out, the one in the room he was crated in started beeping because the battery was dying. He tore his way out of a metal crate and chewed up the blinds and a bunch of stuff.

My older dog is terrified of flies and reacted very much like yours did to the beeps. She was hiding in corners (probably trying to get into tight spaces), panting, trying to get outside and refused to come back in. I had thought of dementia too but now that I think of Dahlia's reaction to flies (dying flies mostly -- late in the year) it's very much like your dog's was!
Well if your dog is terrified of beeps, so much for the gundog training.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2016, 01:51 PM
My dog's a border collie. He's not a gun dog. And the OP's dog is an Akita, also not a gun dog. ???
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2016, 04:34 PM
My dog's a border collie. He's not a gun dog. And the OP's dog is an Akita, also not a gun dog. ???
It seems that border collies are afraid of a lot of things, unfortunately. http://www.bordercollierescue.org/ad...ent/noise.html
Dave65
New Member!
Male 

24-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Wow Dave! That's pretty amazing. I wouldn't have thought of something like that. My younger dog is TERRIFIED of those beeps. When we first got him and he was still destructive and so crated when we were out, the one in the room he was crated in started beeping because the battery was dying. He tore his way out of a metal crate and chewed up the blinds and a bunch of stuff.

My older dog is terrified of flies and reacted very much like yours did to the beeps. She was hiding in corners (probably trying to get into tight spaces), panting, trying to get outside and refused to come back in. I had thought of dementia too but now that I think of Dahlia's reaction to flies (dying flies mostly -- late in the year) it's very much like your dog's was!
If I had not seen it first hand, she would probably be gone now..It is just amazing how terrified she was when that beeped..
So far so good though, she is back to her old self again
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2016, 08:52 PM
My first thoughts were also of dementia or perhaps a mild stroke. Great to know your old friend was just worried by the irritating noise. In your position, and with the age of your dog, I think I would be tempted to pop him along to the vet for a thorough check anyway, just to ensure he is getting any pain meds etc that he might need to keep him comfortable in his more mature years.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by NickyAnn View Post
It seems that border collies are afraid of a lot of things, unfortunately. http://www.bordercollierescue.org/ad...ent/noise.html
There are very good reasons why border collies are often sensitive and reactive - although neither dog you refer to are collies in this thread

http://agilitynet.co.uk/training/bor...ewindeatt.html
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
There are very good reasons why border collies are often sensitive and reactive - although neither dog you refer to are collies in this thread

http://agilitynet.co.uk/training/bor...ewindeatt.html
She was probably talking to me as I mentioned my BC (maybe mix, but mostly BC) being scared of the same beeps. I have her on ignore though as she just does this to troll.
Tailwaggers
New Member!
Female 

23-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Although I would never use alternative therapies instead of proper veterinary care, from my experience they can assist in healing and sometimes even cure illnesses. Batch flower remedies in my experience have proved very useful in troubled animals. Things such as grieving, separation anxiety and many other issues. Have a look here there's a list of different ones and what they do. Or you could research further if none of the ones listed are suitable. They helped my dog with fear of noises
Dave65
New Member!
Male 

08-09-2016, 03:19 AM
Hi all, just a quick update, she is still kicking and doing pretty well for an old girl.. I am just in awe with her.. But thank you all for your kind words and your support.. Best Wishes
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2