Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dave65
New Member!
Male 

14-05-2016, 12:26 AM

Need some advise

Hello all, I am new here, had to find a place to get some advise on my aging Akita, she is almost 14 and is starting to act differently.. She seems to have panic attacks and she wonders all over the house and tries to get into corners..
She has always been an inside dog, but now she prefers to be outside even at night.. Normally I can let her out to do her business ans she would stay right close in the yard, but now she just wonders off and she don't listen like she use to.. She still eats and drinks well but she is a totally different dog..Today she was on her lead and laying in the driveway and we found her clawing at the trim around the garage door, tore chunks out of it, it is like she was trying to clime the wall..
I know it is just a matter of time and she will have to be put to sleep and I don't want her to suffer..But that decision is very hard for me, she has been my best friend for many years and the thought just kills me.. Any advise would be greatly appreciated... Thanks so much!
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-05-2016, 01:32 AM
I think it is time to have a chat with your vet and get him to give her a thorough health check to see if anything could be causing her untypical behaviour. There could be issues with her hearing or sight - some older dogs can hide things like this very well as they have adjusted to their condition over time.
I know from many such experiences that it is never easy to say goodbye to an old and loved friend, but feel sure you will know when the time comes and do what is best for her. My best wishes, Gordon.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2016, 05:52 PM
I was going to say pop in and see the vet. It's always a worrying time when they get old.
Dave65
New Member!
Male 

15-05-2016, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the replies and the suggestions, I am taking her in Monday morning for some test..
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-05-2016, 08:10 PM
14 years old is a good age for that breed and like any older animal or person the mind may not be the same as when younger. The vet may well find your dog physically fit, who knows, but mentally may be a different situation.

You know your dog better than anyone on here and you will know when a decision has to be made. Everyone on here has been in the same situation and know how hard things are. The more you can talk about it to friends -family or on here will help.
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Dave, what you really need to do is think about a new puppy, because you already know the advice that should be given here. The puppy brings life and poopy back into the home, and it's a great thing. I have been where you are now, just do it and clean up the puppy poopy. Good Luck
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Dave, sounds to me like she has dementia, the getting into corners is a typical trait, I think you are wise to have a chat with the vet. I lost my dog at 13, I had a 8year old and a 12week old pup too, it hit me hard, still chokes me now when I think of her, I think every one of us here have most likely been in your situation, I hope the vet can give you positive news
Dave65
New Member!
Male 

17-05-2016, 02:41 AM
Well you all won't believe this..We had a smoke detector that needed a new battery, and it chirps every few minutes, well last night I was able to observe her in my room, I was on the computer and she was doing her usual pacing around and panting and shaking..When that beeped, he crawled under my desk and into all the wires she was horrified, I quickly took down the detector and removed the battery..I never gave the chirping a second thought, only that I had to get some batteries.. We have several on every floor since we have kids in the house..After I took it out, she calmed down after about an hour and fell right to sleep..I had to drag her in the house, she would not come in, now I know why, that chirping drover her insane..Tonight, I let her off her lead and she came right in the house with no problems.. I am just shocked I didn't notice this sooner, or the others in my home..But they could care less about her really since she has been with me forever..I was thinking of having her put down as she was suffering and I am so thankful I found this out before that happened..Please spread the word that some dogs have this problem with fireworks or loud chirping noises...Just SO grateful!
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2016, 06:45 AM
Wow, that is great news!!!!! The standing staring into corners getting stuck in corners wondering off etc are signs of dementia..dementia doesn't mean pts straight away all the time as there are great supplements you cantry.
Just great new that you found out what your buddy was troubled by
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2016, 12:33 AM
Wow Dave! That's pretty amazing. I wouldn't have thought of something like that. My younger dog is TERRIFIED of those beeps. When we first got him and he was still destructive and so crated when we were out, the one in the room he was crated in started beeping because the battery was dying. He tore his way out of a metal crate and chewed up the blinds and a bunch of stuff.

My older dog is terrified of flies and reacted very much like yours did to the beeps. She was hiding in corners (probably trying to get into tight spaces), panting, trying to get outside and refused to come back in. I had thought of dementia too but now that I think of Dahlia's reaction to flies (dying flies mostly -- late in the year) it's very much like your dog's was!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >