Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:11 PM

What to do with liver dust?

I decided to order my dog food from Berriewood given the good reports on here. But as they charge for delivery I got some treats as well. I ordered dried liver but when it came there were a lot of bits in the bottom of the box which were so small they could only be described as dust.

I thought I could soak some kibble and mix it in for training treats. Just wondered if anyone had any other ideas?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:16 PM
You could probably make liver cake with it. I use oats, an egg or two and raw liver, but depending on how much 'dust' there is, you could use it instead of the raw liver, though you'd probably have to add some water to the mix.

Alternatively save if for fussy dogs to sprinkle on their dinner?

Re the kibble - how long after soaking would you use it for training treats? I'll try and find some confirmation of this, but I'm fairly sure that kibble that has been moistened should be used straight away.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks I'll try the liver cake.

Someone suggested moistening kibble and mixing sardines with it for training which I have done in the past. I have kept it (in the fridge) for a day or so without any obvious ill effects. I tend to mix it up early in the day to allow the flavours to blend.

I don't have a fussy eater. She likes anything!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Not absolute proof, but I found this about wet kibble

"Although the cooking process destroys bacteria, if kibble is allowed to get moist again during storage or if left after water has been added prior to serving, bacteria can quickly multiply leaving a food that is unsuitable to feed your pet"

http://wellfedpets.com.au/wp/2009/08...o-feed-kibble/

I guess the risks are low if you are keeping it in the fridge and using within a day or so and in any event, the bacteria may well not affect a healthy dog, but it is worth baring in mind.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:53 PM
That is worth knowing. Tala has a sensitive tummy anyway so I would not use it if it is risky.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 06:14 PM
I'd just sprinkle it on their normal food as an extra tasty treat as and when.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I expect most of it will be sprinkled on her kibble. But there is a large bowl of it and it wasn't cheap. I will be baking my own in the oven from now on.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Mix it with scrambled eggs or porridge
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2010, 03:48 PM
I love scrambled egg and porridge I would be tempted to eat it myself except I don't eat meat
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Mixing it with porridge or scrambled egg sounds good. It could then be used to stuff a kong with.

I cooked some liver off today for treats, then added a little water to the pan to loosen the cooked on bits and make it a little like gravy. Then added some beef mince, cooked it all up with some garlic and parmesan and have frozen it an ice cube tray!
Perfect chunks of tasty meatiness to push into a kong!!

What about using it in some doggy cookie recipes? I'm sure you could mix it in with oatmeal or regular flour to make meaty biscuits.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >