Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
saphirex310
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-08-2008, 08:35 AM

Quality dog food on a budget!!

Hi i have to siberian huskie pups which are both fed on royal canin german shepard large pup, im looking to change there food as i have become newly single and have a child, so far my dogs food bill is bigger than mine per month and affording 80 pounds a month plus pet insurances is killing me, does anyone know of a cheaper food with all the nutrition in it for the pups first year!! im very worried about changing there food i wouldnt change it if i could afford it, bt have no other choice, please help!!!!!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 08:43 AM
I use FROMM which is very good quality food. The major range from Fromm is the Gold Nutritionals. This range is free from any artificial colours, flavours, anti-oxidants and preservatives.

It gets delivered to your door free and I believe it is cheaper than Royal Cairn. It is similar to James wellbeloved but is oilier and therefore more tasty. Personally i wouldn't feed anything else!

Tonks is 7 months and is fed puppy.

PUPPY 15kg £42.77

PUPPY 6.75kg £23.49

PUPPY 2.25kg £10.69

That's what we pay for it.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi all,firstly thats really expensive Tonks my eukanuba costs less, i get a 20k breeders bag bag for £35.00.
Ive tried all the budget foods and the only two i can maintain weight with are pedigree complete and supadog, but I do think its trail and error.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Look at some of the working dog foods such as CSJ, Autarky or possibly Spillers - mind you, I have no experience of your breed and can't say for certain any of them would suite them. Most of them do ranges which are completely additive free.

Plenty of dogs thrive on some of the cheaper brands, so don't feel too guilty about it. Just remember to change over gradually.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Chappy is usually overlooked for some reason; however it is gentle on the stomach and is a way better complete food than the likes of Pedigree IMO, and I'm a rawfeeder!!
Seppfire
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Skinners seems to suit MOST Sibes - a friend of mine introduced me to their Puppy food & we changed over from Royal Canin Babydog(GSD) with no problems & it's not frantically expensive.
We also feed Pro Plan to the racing dogs & a cheaper working dog feed to the veterans/non racers.
All ours, have meat to some degree, as well as pigs heads, offal, etc...except for the 12 & 14 year-olds, who were finding bones too hard on the digestion.

Hope this helps a bit.
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Our three are fed CSJ champ and doing brilliantly on it. We pay something like 8.96 pounds for 15 kilos! Pretty good price. It is aditive free, which is a must for our terv who can't have colours/preservatives of any kind in her main diet
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2008, 05:57 PM
We feed CSJ, £9.00 or so for a 15kg bag.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 06:10 PM
I have fed my dogs on Omega for the last 10 years . My dogs are all perfectly healthy , very old now but not on any medication despite their age . They are never at the vet apart from vaccinnes etc . I have no idea what's in Omega but even if I did know it wouldn't mean much to me as I don't know what would be ideal . It costs £11 99 for a 15kg bag . My dogs never have upset stomachs either and their teeth are perfect .
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
Chappy is usually overlooked for some reason; however it is gentle on the stomach and is a way better complete food than the likes of Pedigree IMO, and I'm a rawfeeder!!
Beleve that Chappy is made by Pedigree but it is a very good cheap food and fine for a yearling, believe they now do original and chicken and rice.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >