View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Maybe because momma is losing wieght the baby is not getting enough to eat?
Also we had a lovely mare she was brilliant with the kid's as soon as she foaled she was the devil incarnate, maybe she had lost a baby I dont know but she would have killed you,
Have you wormed the momma?She could be full of them.
Bajaluna is 1st my sister and 2nd a horses woman, you have seen her foal picture's I have seen her take a skinny skinny infoal mare and turn her around in weeks to be a picture of health,she will explain what additvies to give her, if she is having trouble digesting, she will explain why, I followed the dog path she carried on with equine 's and Has people call giving her horses for nothing as she can turn them around when all else fail's.
I understand her impatience I'm the same with dog's but you have to understand she isn't crtising she is trying to help, PM her and she will explain to you your only in carolina only 20+ hours from her she can help.
Please for the sake of Luna and the next baby learn as much as someone is willing to give you some people pay with lives the get this experience.

http://www.redmills.co.uk/article.ph...y_Foals_100205

http://foxtrotters.tripod.com/foalcare.htm
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Can I just ask something here in case I've got this all wrong somewhere? The mare in the picture is NOT the mother of the foal, i.e. Luna (the foal), but Dixie is the mother of the foal. The mother in the picture is in fact Sassy, who is supposed to be IN FOAL, which Luna the baby has latched on to - yes? In which case, if she is in foal, she should be well covered all over - yes? So what is Dixie looking like now then? The same as Sassy is? In which case, I strongly suspect the reason she's turned nasty and is attacking you and only coming up for food and then going away, is because she is perhaps very hungry? Horses can turn very nasty indeed when they are hungry, I do know that for a fact! I honestly think they all need feeding up more, and this is why you need advice from a vet, that's my opinion

I just want to add something here for what it's worth, it might give you some idea of whether you're feeding correctly or not.

If I had just come back from a 2 hour hard ride, my horse would get FOR LUNCH 1 full Scoop of mix, 1 full scoop of crushed barley (If it was winter!) some sugarbeet, say half a scoop, plus a tad of chaff or mollasses. NOw he would get that 3 times a day! A mare in foal needs a lot of hard food, whether it be before or after foaling I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT, but as I keep on saying, I know nothing about mares in foal. I just wanted to give you an idea of what a horse in work would get so that you can compare it, coz afterall, a horse either in foal or having just had one is working pretty hard in herself?
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Ok I'm not believing what I'm reading. I'm just in total fricken shock. You all are saying that I had planned to do all this, when all I was doing was asking questions as to what I should do. I'm not a very experienced horse person and I'm not afraid to admit that. And everyone makes mistakes. I specifically made the comment that I don't want to do it if it will mess up Luna or Dixie. I'm just trying to understand what is going on and what I'm reading. Why would I lie about any of this? I'm not that kind of person. These horses were in very awful shape when we first got them and in my opinion have come a very long way. The first picture of Sassy and the second that I posted were taken on the very same day with my cell phone. In the first pic Sassy is at an angle to us and because her belly has dropped and her hips have sunken in (both signs of her getting close to delivery right??) she looks more skinny. I understand that both angles show differently but I cant believe you would say I'm lying. You can still see her hips and ribs in the second pic its just not at an angle that accentuates them. And yes I do agree that she needs to gain weight and we are giving her everything we can. But I'm sure you know trying to put weight on a mare thats in foal is not easy as everything she is taking in is going to the baby. I guess that I am done here because I'm not liking the way I'm being treated. So Long.............
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 01:43 PM
im sooooo confusd!!!!!!!!

i know how hard it is to keeep weight on horses.... i have a tb that is quite ribby at certain times of the year - inverst in soem decent rugs - ! mine has 15 to his name ad when its really col he wear 2 heavyweights AND a fleece and he's still cold!!!!!!!

he eats 1 and a half scoops of alpha twice a day and up untilr ecently a scoop of pasture mix - apples/carrots etc....

good luck - you sound like your going to need it - people so care thats why they are sharing y their experience wit you
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 02:22 PM
We are only offering help hun, pm me if you still feel you want to.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 02:38 PM
ok I was upset and trying to get thru to you,It is frustrating to try to help someone that really doesnt listen
I am really trying to help you so ill give it one more shot
this is a pic of yamaha 12 hrs before she foaled,she is dropped, bagged,waxed and a little dialated,the is no angle that you could take a pic that would show her hips and ribs
so sassy is not normal and too underweight.
just to give you an idea
This mare was being fed 4 gallons of purina complete advantage 3 times per day(thats 20lbs) and had good quality hay in front of her all the time plus she was in a very grassy paddock
to calculate feed you take the height of the horse x 2 then if its in light work or no work it should get 1/4 grain
moderate to heavy 2/4 grain heavy competition,breeding lactating,skinny 3/4
yamaha is 15.1 thats 32lbs of feed hay and grain the only thing I do is always give them the choice of hay and then pour the grain till they look good and back it off to maintain.
hope that helps I wasnt critisising you just trying to make you understand Im not very good with words whats in my head pops out my fingers ZB is right and helena is right maybe you could get a vet to help you or a local trainer xxxxx
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
ok I was upset and trying to get thru to you,It is frustrating to try to help someone that really doesnt listen
I am really trying to help you so ill give it one more shot
this is a pic of yamaha 12 hrs before she foaled,she is dropped, bagged,waxed and a little dialated,the is no angle that you could take a pic that would show her hips and ribs
so sassy is not normal and too underweight.

just to give you an idea
This mare was being fed 4 gallons of purina complete advantage 3 times per day(thats 20lbs) and had good quality hay in front of her all the time plus she was in a very grassy paddock
to calculate feed you take the height of the horse x 2 then if its in light work or no work it should get 1/4 grain
moderate to heavy 2/4 grain heavy competition,breeding lactating,skinny 3/4
yamaha is 15.1 thats 32lbs of feed hay and grain the only thing I do is always give them the choice of hay and then pour the grain till they look good and back it off to maintain.

hope that helps I wasnt critisising you just trying to make you understand Im not very good with words whats in my head pops out my fingers ZB is right and helena is right maybe you could get a vet to help you or a local trainer xxxxx

And people fink's I'm sarcastic, It run's in the family.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
And people fink's I'm sarcastic, It run's in the family.
DDs the worst
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
DDs the worst
Oh and don't I know it.
So peep's bear with us its a family trait.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 03:12 PM
I do agree with you that Sassy is underweight and Dixie still is herself. The guy at the farm where our horses are has them on 1 scoop of Nutrina Compete twice a day. (the scoop is a 3.5 pound scoop) Me and my husband tried to up it for them for the babies but he said we were feeding too much and that a horse can kill itself by eating too much. (We had upped it to 2 scoops twice a day) Im gonna do more research and figure out how much to feed them and we are going to buy our own bag to help them out.

So Im going to have Dixie checked out to see if there is something causing her pain and rule that out for her behavior. I talked to another friend of mine and thats what she suggested. She said it might also be making her fussy with the baby. If she is not in pain I guess we are going to have to work with her the best we can and hope we get help along the way. I dont want to do anything wrong so Im giving Luna more time with Dixie but I will be keeping a close eye on them and make sure Luna isnt getting too beat up.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >