View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tamaray
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Yes I had heard that milbemax treated lungworm as well which the others don't? Anyone know?
colliemagic
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I would never use Millimax on my collies or collies x because of the risk of a fatal reaction if the dog is carrying the MDR1 gene. This also reacts with any medication containing Ivomectin 2 and vets should be aware of this. Care also needs to be taken with anaesthethics and I always ensure that my vet uses the appropriate one for collies.

A blood test will show whether the dog is carrying this gene.
Amber And Rosie
New Member!
Female 

18-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Wow this is starting to baffle me now, I want to do whats best for my dog. Thought using Drontal and Frontline was all thats needed to keep fleas and the usual worms at bay but after hearing about lungworm I am getting quiet confused as of what to do. Rosie is a Working Cocker X Golden Retriever she's nearly 10 months now she's also the first dog I have owned so I am even more baffled...... s
raw4us
New Member!
Female 

18-04-2009, 02:58 PM
I use milbemax with my cockers and pups and I like it because it's gentle.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tamaray View Post
Yes I had heard that milbemax treated lungworm as well which the others don't? Anyone know?
Panacur for lungworm
I have started to alternate Drontal with Panacur so all worms are treated for
Would never take the risk of using Milbemax on my Collie, but in saying that it IS the only thing to treat Heartworm so if she ever got that i would have to risk it

Jann
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
Panacur for lungworm
I have started to alternate Drontal with Panacur so all worms are treated for
Would never take the risk of using Milbemax on my Collie, but in saying that it IS the only thing to treat Heartworm so if she ever got that i would have to risk it

Jann
Advocate is used for heartworm prevention, it also treats;
ear mites (Otodectes cynotis)
lice (Trichodectes canis)
sarcoptic mange (caused by Sarcoptes scabiei var. canis)
demodicosis (caused by Demodex canis)
Roundworm, hookworm and whipworm
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by colliemagic View Post
I would never use Millimax on my collies or collies x because of the risk of a fatal reaction if the dog is carrying the MDR1 gene. This also reacts with any medication containing Ivomectin 2 and vets should be aware of this. Care also needs to be taken with anaesthethics and I always ensure that my vet uses the appropriate one for collies.

A blood test will show whether the dog is carrying this gene.
good post, I knew about milimax, but not about the rest I would like to get Betty tested, I guess with Brinley being a Collie x maybe hes ok, I think I'll discuss it with my vet, thanks.
Milton01
New Member!
Female 

22-03-2011, 08:24 AM
I went to my vet yesterday and he was given Millebemax worming tablet. He is a collie. He is now having adverse affects. Tremors, twitiching, lethargy, vomiting. He whines when he lies down and is constantly getting up to lie down again as he is in pain. Called the Vet at 3am and they told me that Collies can have adverse reactions to the drug. Told to monitor him for 24 hours and call back if no change. Well 24 hours is nearly up and no change. No interest in food, pale gums, still whining when lying down, excessive panting shaky back legs. So scared. Angry at the Vet for knowing that Millebmax is bad for collies and giving it to him. I didn't know about the adverse affects until I called the Vet this morning.
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Hope your collie soon feels better...how scary that a vet dispenses it without letting you know possible risks...
kathryn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Hi Milton01
Hope things have improved for you & your collie, certainly think they should be taking the reaction seriously, your dog should have been admitted & treated for the adverse reaction not just left for you to observe ! The vets should also have filled in an adverse reaction form that is forwarded to the veterinary medicines dictorate, they also should have contacted Novartis the manufacturers - think I would be kicking up a stink if my dog was having this sort of reaction & it wasn't taken seriously.
x K
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >