Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 10:36 PM

Leather or Fabric Sofas ?????

I am looking for some new sofas and I am so undecided on what to go for. Although I have always had fabric I do fancy a change and have leather ones. However I am getting conflicting advice from friends, some are saying they would not have leather again as its cold or theirs have started cracking. So would like to know what your thoughts are if you own leather sofas. If I do go for leather can you suggest which are good places to shop. I think DFS is off my list as I have a few friends who are not happy with their service or sofas. So any info would be well appreciated.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-02-2008, 10:37 PM
I have leather sofas and find them great for muddy footprints they are so easy to clean
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 10:50 PM
We went from fabric to leather as we allow the dogs up and leather is so much easier to clean
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Leather here as they are so easy cleaned,xxxxxxxxxx
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Now this is one of the reasons that I fancy leather, easy to clean. Although I don't allow the dog on the furniture I do allow my husband and he can be a dirty beggar.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 11:08 PM
we have a fabric one at the moment but have beeen offered a two seater and three seater lether suite for free by neighbours - in cream leather...

they have always sworn by it as they have holly the westie and said its great for keeping clean with dogs and such....

there are moisturising wipes you can use to stop the leather from cracking i think...
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Leather all the way! So easy to keep clean!
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-02-2008, 09:26 AM
We have leather sofas, and I hate them. However, they are easy to keep clean.

I like to stretch out and fall asleep on my sofa, so I like a nice soft fabric one. Our leather one is horrible. It's cold when you first stretch out on it, and then when you warm up, you stick to it.

If my wife would let me, I'd get rid of them for fabric any day. But I guess I'm being selfish
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Leather all the way. I remember our last fabric one - all the dog hairs and cat claw threads.

As with many things you get what you pay for. Leather can very thin and stitching weak on some of the very cheap ones.

As for them cracking - they're a bit like shoes I guess in that they benefit from being looked after. You can get polish for leather furniture or even a quick pledge and rub helps keep them supple.
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2008, 09:33 AM
i have both leather and fabric and every time would go for leather. The dogs just looove the fabric one as they can get a good scratch on it, so much so the minute they have finished eating they bound over to it to clean their faces!

If you go for leather, get the best you can afford, as with most things you get what you pay for (I shopped around and got the same suite for €1000 less in an out of town store!!!). We have our leather sofas for 3 years and they look as good as the day they were delivered,

I do put down blankets under the dogs in the evening though so that i dont have to clean it so that may work for whichever you choose. (i have a a blanket on the fabric one too but the minx's always tear it off)
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >