View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Flynn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2008, 04:40 PM
My parents have always fed Pedigree. Every dog they had!! It is mixed with biscuits but even so. I hate the stuff! I do think canned dog food is a bit old fashioned. There have been many different brands of food and ways of presenting it, like kibble and sachets but my parents have stuck with what they know as they are old fogies It doesnt seem to do any harm to the dogs. They are regular and have firm stools. Plus old Jack is pushing 13 and still fit as a fiddle. (hes a JR x). But as i said i wouldnt feed Flynn it! We use JWB kibble with a treat of JWB meat every so often.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by petticoat74 View Post
I read alot of the posts and mostly I see people feed their dogs Raw or kibble.... I feed Jamie mostly canned food, with cooked/raw meat as a treat with mixer.... Does anyone else feed canned? Also which is the best canned dog food to buy, as Pedigree does my boys guts in He adores Butchers Tripe.....

The only canned food I use is butchers as like you said pedigree chum gives them the runs!! I feed them wagg sensitive mixer, and Flower has 'hi life' pouches with 60percent meat...she doesnt like canned food, or dry food!! xxxx
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Jamie doesn't just have canned food... he has tuna, cooked meats, raw lamb (not with any other food!!), mackeral and sardines, fresh veg and sausages... yes I know sausages are a bit of a no-no.. but it is only occassional and he adores them He has one can of Butchers a day, breakfast is kibble with cooked meat or fish... I just wondered who does feed canned food and really whats the best, as I know Butchers is 80% moisture... Thinking of switching to something more 'meaty'....
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
What if that same boxer could live to 16 and at 12 have the health of a 6 year old?
I'd love that...and if it is truely possible for that to happen, I'll listen with open ears.

Seriously, what would I have to do and what to feed him?
arctic.wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2008, 06:06 PM
I don't ever feed cans, but I do know someone who buys cans, they buy own brand cheap stuff from makro and if you peel off the makro labels they sometimes have the 'premium brand' label underneath, just goes to show that you don't always know what you are getting
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I'd love that...and if it is truely possible for that to happen, I'll listen with open ears.

Seriously, what would I have to do and what to feed him?
I can't say that for sure, but my own experiences have seen amazing things, esp with older dogs having more energy/being in less pain.

Avoiding foods with preservatives and additives, it's the same with our own food, fresh is always better.
I suggest you buy a few books and type 'raw feeding for dogs' into google, you don't have to do anything other than read just now, find out some stuff and go with what appeals and makes the most SENSE to you.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 08:38 PM
kibble is an awful food for dogs, fashionable it might be but its what it does to the insides what worries me.

chappie was my dogs life saver, literally,and yes it contains 80% water BUT so does RAW.

dogs fed table scraps do live longer as they did years ago, the only thing that used to kill them early was cars cause the dogs used to roam.
sammerson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2008, 08:53 PM
its kind of odd that everyone says pedigree messes with the tummies!!! its the only thing piper can eat that doesnt tear her tummy up, she has a very sensitive stomach, the vet gave me some science diet for sensitive stomachs, didnt work, then he gave me several other options, he was a bit surprised to hear that the pedigree was the best one but said "if it works, use it!" i used to feed her the cans but now i have gotten to where i just give her the pouches because they come in smaller sizes and before, i was wasting more than using
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2008, 09:00 PM
All I know is Jake has had pedigree for all his 9 years(though everyone who sees him says they would put him younger than 9) and has never been ill. The maybe foods that have .7 of a % of something better, or less water or a load of other things. So I am not changing for something that may or may not be better.

While I execpt some dogs will not do well on it, some will. The same as every other brand or type of feed out there.
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 09:48 PM
I add one tin between three dogs with their dried Wainwrights, I know some say its not good as may unbalance the dry food but its a nice taste for them and they eat it all then plus the garlic on a Monday! Buthcers tripe i give as its fairly decent stuff, never pedigree apart from Chappie. They also get left over veggies etc
Page 4 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »