Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 06:03 PM

Think of the wild birds now please

Just wanted to mention somewhere on here, that the wild birds are getting hungry now that the weather has changed, so don't throw out your old apples and grapes coz the blackbirds absolutely love them. I watched one blackbird this afternoon eat a whole 1/4 of an apple all to himself so they must be hungry! If you're using seed, remember to get the sunflower hearts, and that way they don't have to work so hard to get the seed out of the husk (pod?whatever!!!) These are like fillet steaks to our wild birds, they all love those. The blue tits love the fat balls and fat related treats.

I'm a bird lover can yer tell!!!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-11-2007, 06:06 PM
We don't feed them which is a shame but i try not to encourage them into our garden because of the cats.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 06:09 PM
I don't expect they will mind Phil, there's always another cafe further on up the road on their flight path isn't there!!! I get great pleasure in watching them all at my feeders through the side kitchen window, and it's such a time waster too!!! I suppose it's all good for lowering the old blood pressure to take time out like that though!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 06:11 PM
I think I will pay a visit to the pet shop and do some shopping. Then I might even get a bonus of some close up photowork.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm so pleased I'm feeding the birds now, it wonderful watching them, I've stopped feeding the fat balls though as it attracted way to many Starlings and they frightened all the other birds off, now I just get a few, I don't mind the Starlings but I like the otheres as well, so far I get Blue Tits, Goldfinches, Sparrow, Starlings, Robins and Collared Doves, and for a while I also had a Hedgehog visit, I can waste hours watching their antics
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Good on you Fudgeley!

I read an interesting article on the plane about where to actually put your feeders, because I had put all the new ones out in the open when we did the new front garden because everyone said the birds like them in the open. Before, all my feeders were stuffed almost in my big hedge around the side, where I've now moved them all back!!!
Anyway, in this article it said to think of a wood, and the birds gather just at the edge of the wood, so my big wide hedge is perfect with the trees on the other side, and then opening out into my actual garden, so I moved them to just next to the hedge, i.e. the edge of the wood, and lo and behold they've all come back!!!

I shall look forward to some pics soon then Fudgeley (btw, can I mention dolphins???? Have I missed it or did you give up????)
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Good on you Fudgeley!

I read an interesting article on the plane about where to actually put your feeders, because I had put all the new ones out in the open when we did the new front garden because everyone said the birds like them in the open. Before, all my feeders were stuffed almost in my big hedge around the side, where I've now moved them all back!!!
Anyway, in this article it said to think of a wood, and the birds gather just at the edge of the wood, so my big wide hedge is perfect with the trees on the other side, and then opening out into my actual garden, so I moved them to just next to the hedge, i.e. the edge of the wood, and lo and behold they've all come back!!!

I shall look forward to some pics soon then Fudgeley (btw, can I mention dolphins???? Have I missed it or did you give up????)
Not had any luck yet. Spent hours last night and they would not upload. My other vids work fine so will have to try again.If not i will post pics instead.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
I'm so pleased I'm feeding the birds now, it wonderful watching them, I've stopped feeding the fat balls though as it attracted way to many Starlings and they frightened all the other birds off, now I just get a few, I don't mind the Starlings but I like the otheres as well, so far I get Blue Tits, Goldfinches, Sparrow, Starlings, Robins and Collared Doves, and for a while I also had a Hedgehog visit, I can waste hours watching their antics
Funny thing Christine, I can't remember the last time I actually had a starling in my garden!!! I get the big wood pidgeons which are a right pain, but then again, they're still birds, and they need food so I don't discourage them, but they eat a lot and make the bird bath dirty with their bathing!!! I've got loads of greenfinches, blue tits, great tits, a chaffinch today , 2 robins who are always first in the mornings, loads of blackbirds, one mistle thrush, a few tiny little wrens, and one day I was lucky enough to have a massive black/red/white speckled woodpecker, but by the time I got the camera out and pointed it at him he flew off!!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Feeding the birds and have loads around now it is getting colder.
I have a Robin who comes and sits on the top of the bird table every morning and sings while looking in the kitchen window.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Every time I go up the river I see little egret's, and loads of different wildlife.
Here's a link
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...gret/index.asp
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >