Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
juicy'smommy
New Member!
Female 

21-07-2006, 02:23 PM

Dogs stomach making gurgling noises & being sick

Hello everyone.... I am new here and i was brought to this site this morning while browsing online... My intent was to find a site that can answer my question since my vet doesnt open until 8 am....

Does anyone know if it is normal for your dogs stomach to make gurgling noises as if it's water or something inside??????...

Since earlier this week I've been worried about her because she was sick and i had to take her to the vet the believed that she had giardia because she showed some symptoms of it and tested negative for something thats starts with a p that is very similar to giardia... this morning while we were laying in bed sleep i kept hearing a noise that sounded like water running over the night stand and so i got up to see what it was not to long after i discovered that the noise was coming from juicy's stomach and when I put my hand on it i can feel it... I know she cant have worms because when i took her to the vet a couple days ago for the giardia they gave her a deworming pill just in case she did have worms.... she's been acting normally as if the gurgling isnt effecting her so maybe im jus overreacting maybe it's just GAS... but u cant never be too sure!!
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Just saw this...have you been back to the vet?
The test for Giardia....I cant think what the P is that was negative....usually when a fecal test is being done theyll test for eggs of rounds, whips, hooks and also would be able to see coccidea, they dont use fecasol to test for giardia though, we used to use something else for that (its a specific fluid for giardia although I think you can see it with just saline...cant remember !!)
Was the P - parvo???? How old is your dog? Thats a completely different type of test though and regardless of the results would not make the diarrhea definately giardia (more likely coccidia..well...coccidia is more common depending on where you are in California and where you got your dog from).

Its not a dewormer thats given for giardia either its usually flagyl (metronidazole) and its not a one off, there should be a course of medication....

Puppies sometimes get a gurgly stomach, usually its either because theyre hungry or it could be there food....too much fluid.

Can you give a little more info? age of your dog, diet, any vomiting with this....
I think you should follow up with your vet either way.
perrypooh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2006, 02:59 PM
We had this problem with our elderly westie Tilly, ended up being a mild case of bloat.We started feeding her smaller meals 3 times a day and it put an end to it,didn't think in a million yrs it would be bloat as i'd always associate it with tall breeds not a little squirt like our Till!:smt016
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Hi juicy'smommy just like humans, dogs get upset tummies and this can often lead to gurgling noises.

You don't say how old your dog is /what food you are feeding your dog/the content.

I agree with perrypooh that small frequent meals are the best option so the tummy doesn't become too full and distended.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 02:35 PM
My dog had this when she had an acid/empty stomach and also when she developed colitis ... once the colitis was sorted out it stopped...

Hope your dog improves and you find out what the cause is...
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Bodhis stomach had been known to gurgle when she has a hungry tum!