Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 06:59 AM

Grain & potato free kibble?

I know there are quite a few grain free dry foods but does anyone know of any that don't replace the grain with potato?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Hi Sara look at Orijen..
http://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/
some prepared raw foods don't contain potatoes or grain ..
An example..
http://www.naturalinstinct.com/produ...Dogs-Beef.html
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 08:24 AM
I've just ordered a bag of the orijen 6 fish for her, I'll give her a try on that and stick to it. Thanks Minihaha
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 10:38 AM
I've always wondered why brands boast about grain free when they usually just replace the grains with potato or something else starchy that more or less has the same effect.

I'd rather have whole grains in my dogs food than potato or something. Surely whole grain wheat has got to be better than potato for them? That's what I've always thought anyway.

I've heard pretty good things about Orijen dog food, but I can't afford to feed it to my two dogs. Please let us know how it goes!
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I've always wondered why brands boast about grain free when they usually just replace the grains with potato or something else starchy that more or less has the same effect.

I'd rather have whole grains in my dogs food than potato or something. Surely whole grain wheat has got to be better than potato for them? That's what I've always thought anyway.

I've heard pretty good things about Orijen dog food, but I can't afford to feed it to my two dogs. Please let us know how it goes!
They replace the grain's with potato to bulk it out so it's more affordable.

Some dogs, such as mine are allergic to grains, be them whole grains or not. Potato is usually a safe substitute for these dogs.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Both of my dogs are on the 6Fish Orijen and it suits them fantastically. It is quite rich so initially give less than it says on the packet. Once I got the portions right they have done excellently. Shiny coats, no scratching, they seldom have wind and weight maintenance is great.

There are various companies that are bringing out 'copy' products such as Canagan and it is not as good.

I warn you though it smells really fishy - great for the dogs but not such a nice smell for us.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Both of my dogs are on the 6Fish Orijen and it suits them fantastically. It is quite rich so initially give less than it says on the packet. Once I got the portions right they have done excellently. Shiny coats, no scratching, they seldom have wind and weight maintenance is great.

There are various companies that are bringing out 'copy' products such as Canagan and it is not as good.

I warn you though it smells really fishy - great for the dogs but not such a nice smell for us.
Lol that's a small price to pay if she can be comfortable thanks everyone for your help