Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-07-2005, 05:16 PM
I`m really sorry for both of you......

The trouble is i dont think talking nicely to this person will get you anywhere, or for that matter reporting her to the dog warden.

You have to take matters into your own hands and look to protecting Loki,

I have been in the same situation, all be it the other way round......

Millie is not good with other dogs.....and its so frustrating when loose dogs charge up to her , and there owners don`t do a dam thing to call them away.

I carry with me , either a water spray, or a empty can (coke can) filled with pebbles ,(tape up the top.).......

If i`m in a situation....and i can see trouble coming i.e loose dogs running up to mine , if the owners do not call them away.......

Shout LOUDLY... if you have the time .....call your dog... if no on is there to call them or if they ignore you....

Throw the can onto the ground in between you and the other dogs as hard as you can..... and shout NO GO BACK...... or squite them with the water.... it should stop them in there tracks.........and i`m sorry if the other owners dont like it, but you have to look out for Loki first.......
I have stopped many a situation from getting out of hand by doing this, you are not harming the other dogs, but the sudden noise should stop them in ther tracks........

Also makes the other owners, think twice about letting there dogs run loose.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-07-2005, 05:21 PM
good point or water bombs work with most dogs its a distraction that stops them which can help them to think twice if they don't take any notice of loki.
failing that use your keys etc any thing that makes a noise and will stop them from attacking.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2005, 12:17 PM
The distracting noise is a good idea, as has been said, just about anything will do!

Totally off the point, but my Kali was nearly named Loki (Norse god of mischief), until I found another reference to Loki as the god of evil, which put me off a little bit. Still think it's a good name, if you can keep people to thinking "mischief" rather than "evil"!

We settled on Kali, eventually, after a Norse Earl of Orkney in the 12th century. Not only did it have no potential "vibes", but, even here, hardly anyone knows what it means! (As well as being the Earl, the original Kali Kolsson was a crusader knight, and later was made a saint - "St. Rognvald". There is, however, nothing saintly about the dog - perhaps "Loki" would have been better, after all! Mischief, indeed).

Snorri
(translates as "Naughty Boy")
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2005, 12:33 PM
This must really be getting on your nerves, and poor loki's too! I'm afraid I would have already had strong words with this woman no matter how nice she appeared, it's just not on letting a dog like this run around off the lead. He's going to meet his match one day with an owner who's not as nice as you lucky and will let his dog attack this JR, so how is she going to feel then! Have you got a camcorder and you can record the behaviour of this dog, that may probably be enough to frighten this woman off somewhere else to walk her unruly dogs if you told her you wanted evidence to produce to the Police? Tell her you are worried that you might end up in Court if Loki decides to put an end to this situation himself (and I wouldn't blame him at all if he did! Cassie would have told it off in no uncertain terms too, just like Loki did, but it obviously hasn't worked has it). Tell her you've been reading up on the dangerous dogs act and it clearly states in there that all dogs have to be under control at all times (maybe print that page off to show her even, I would?) She is clearly ignorant in my eyes, hence she has unruly dogs - nuff said! Good luck, you must sort this out to protect Loki and to once again be able to enjoy your walk in this particular area, let her find somewhere else to go, and hopefully she may meet somebody who is not as nice and "soft" as you and will take her to court about it as these dogs are clearly a nuisance. Stand your ground Lucky! Good luck, take care of Loki too if you meet them again during the week.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2005, 12:41 PM
So sorry to hear about your troubles with this JR. I have had trouble with JR`s in the [past too. Lucky you have a big dog that can handle himself. My little dog was chased under a car by a JR in the car park after a walk and we had to drag this dog off my little girl, luckly she didnt catch her with her teeth, but my little girl is so nervous now, she is suspicious of all dogs that she dosn`t know well. This woman should keep a muzzle on her JR or be reported to a warden.
Sarah L
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Hi LS

I would say to this woman that if she sees you coming can she put her dogs on a lead, if not you will report her to the local authorities (being the council) and that what she is doing is wrong. If her dogs cannot be controlled and she knows this she shouldn't let them off. You also don't want Loki to think that every dog is going to do this and he may turn dog aggressive in the future. Same thing happend with my Lennie, he was on lead and a large Bullmastiff bitch which was known to be feisty attacked him for no reason. Now he hates everything off a lead and wants to fight them. Its not fair, someone elses stupidity ruining our dogs lives. I always ask people to put their dogs on leads and on the second warning I tell them that if their dogs are off lead then mines have every right to be off. Soon makes them think twice. I have been in touch with the wardens and police just to see what my rights are if Lenny does ever attack an off lead dog. The owner of the off lead dog is liable. I was also told that if your dog is attacked by another dog which is off lead then you can let it go to protect itself. Its awful you have to do these things. I jhave resorted to walking at 5.30am and around 9pm as there is never anyone around. But if I want to walk at different imes I will, won't let idiots like this spoil my walks. LOL Listen to me ranting but this type of thing really annoys me and because I have the breeds I do - me and my dogs will be the bad ones. Grrrrrrrrrr

Let me know how you get on.
Sarah
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2005, 11:25 PM
LS, if you can't bring yourself to kick the ******* dogs, kick the woman instead, preferably somewhere she won't feel it - like her head!

We had a case up here, when two lab/GSD crosses started attacking any passing dog - they killed one and did serious damage to two others. The vet reported them to the police. One local saw the fatal attack, and rushed out to beat the offenders with a golf club! Too late to save the wee dog, though *

Snorri
(I know this case, because some stupid b sarted a rumour that My Kali and Snorri had been responsible! Fortunately, I managed to scotch THAT one in short order!

*wee Dylan (a JR cross) was a playmate of my Kali; they had lots of beach romps together.
Sarah L
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-07-2005, 07:22 PM
See this type of thing, I would be terrified to walk my dogs if dogs like this went about. Luckily most people would report them to the police or wardens and they would be taken away. Poor wee Dylan, what a horrific way to die. I remember when I worked at the vets and a little old JRT was attacked by two racing greyhounds (some little lad had gone into the kennels and taken them without permission, no muzzles on and let them loose). The old woman tried desperately to save her dog but she had no chance. The dog was about 10 yrs old and when they brought it to the hospital it was still alive but its chest was a mass of holes, you would have thought it had been shot. Poor wee thing had to be PTS. The woman was devastated.
She has another little dog but you see her lift it every time another dog passes. Its awful.

I know its a terrible thing to say but I would do anything to protect my dogs. The SSPCA inspector and the local AC said that if your dog is being attacked you can do anything in your power to save it. Don't think they meant anything but you would try to save them anyway, wouldn't you?

Sarah
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest
The distracting noise is a good idea, as has been said, just about anything will do!

Totally off the point, but my Kali was nearly named Loki (Norse god of mischief), until I found another reference to Loki as the god of evil, which put me off a little bit. Still think it's a good name, if you can keep people to thinking "mischief" rather than "evil"!

We settled on Kali, eventually, after a Norse Earl of Orkney in the 12th century. Not only did it have no potential "vibes", but, even here, hardly anyone knows what it means! (As well as being the Earl, the original Kali Kolsson was a crusader knight, and later was made a saint - "St. Rognvald". There is, however, nothing saintly about the dog - perhaps "Loki" would have been better, after all! Mischief, indeed).

Snorri
(translates as "Naughty Boy")
Small world, eh? I love reading about the God Loki. He was supposed to be very mischevious, intelligent and popular until the evil part got the better of him. We try to ignore that part of the name in our Loki.

I love the name Kali - I wish I'd heard of that when I was looking at names. Ah well ...
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
This must really be getting on your nerves, and poor loki's too! I'm afraid I would have already had strong words with this woman no matter how nice she appeared, it's just not on letting a dog like this run around off the lead. He's going to meet his match one day with an owner who's not as nice as you lucky and will let his dog attack this JR, so how is she going to feel then! Have you got a camcorder and you can record the behaviour of this dog, that may probably be enough to frighten this woman off somewhere else to walk her unruly dogs if you told her you wanted evidence to produce to the Police? Tell her you are worried that you might end up in Court if Loki decides to put an end to this situation himself (and I wouldn't blame him at all if he did! Cassie would have told it off in no uncertain terms too, just like Loki did, but it obviously hasn't worked has it). Tell her you've been reading up on the dangerous dogs act and it clearly states in there that all dogs have to be under control at all times (maybe print that page off to show her even, I would?) She is clearly ignorant in my eyes, hence she has unruly dogs - nuff said! Good luck, you must sort this out to protect Loki and to once again be able to enjoy your walk in this particular area, let her find somewhere else to go, and hopefully she may meet somebody who is not as nice and "soft" as you and will take her to court about it as these dogs are clearly a nuisance. Stand your ground Lucky! Good luck, take care of Loki too if you meet them again during the week.
Thanks Helen. I know - you're all right and it's about time I said something to her. I will, you know. It just takes me a while sometimes to gee myself up but I am quite incensed about the whole thing now.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >