View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaos
New Member!
Female 

16-06-2011, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=krlyr;2282489]Can I ask what you mean by "done to death"? I'm presuming you feel it's overly pushed onto people or something? As someone who feeds raw, it is something I recommend because I find it works well but I don't feel that everyone should be pushed to do it if they're not confident enough, and I do believe that it needs a little research. However, many people will push a particular brand or type of dry or wet commercial food too. People like to recommend something they have personal, positive experience with. I know Burns was heavily recommended when it first came out, before Orijen, F4D etc. yet the dogs I've tried on it didn't suit it at all. Does this mean people shouldn't recommend it? No, as you said, find what works for your dog, but I wouldn't dismiss something because it seemed to get too many good ratings to be true.

What i mean done to death

iv only just joined this forum and the whole raw v kibble thing is not pushed on to people as bad as other forums some people just seem to believe raw is the only diet for dogs and thats it. I would never dismiss something that I feel would benefit my dogs and the dogs it works for it has many plus points and is a more natural way of feeding.
If it suited my dogs then I would feed nothing but raw some people say its expensive but I found it cheaper than kibble. If you find a good butcher And yes you should recommend it as I said when it works for a dog you get outstanding results.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 10:37 AM
I never went into it with her Karly, wasnt really that interested to be honest. Her view was for dogs it should be cooked & not fed raw. She herself wouldnt eat it even if cooked - fair play to her

I do know anytime i eat chicken in a. certain fasy food establishment i am ill after it altho that is possibly as much to do with the delicious coating or, the way its cooked.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't feed raw. I have never thought I needed to. I do give odd bits and bobs raw when we have something left or if something needs eating up, but its never a full meal. I have always found plenty of cooked or prepared foods to suit my dogs and keep them in good condition. If I ever thought it necessary to change to raw I would only buy meats which were fit for human consumption and as others have said I would be quite careful with chicken.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
IMO the whole Raw thing been done to death I feel its what works for your dog I have 2 dogs now did have 3 lost him in april all my dogs are feed different my boy that died was on a raw diet it worked for him IE coat, stools muscle tone but didnt work with my other 2, my girl is on a 23 per cent protein dry food and my other one is on a 28 per cent dry food and both have raw twice a week.
It took along time to find what works for each dog after trying endless foods but this is what works for them so wouldn't change it I have a new pup coming in August so will go thro the whole thing again with him.
This site is constantly visited by guests and new members, and as such they may not feel the same "done to death" is a tad unfair to suggest for those who wish to listen and learn..

If you feel its done to death, dont partake, leave it to those who wish to join in the discussion.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=chaos;2282601]
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
-) And yes you should recommend it as I said when it works for a dog you get outstanding results.
You also get outstanding results from kibble and or wet foods

It is what suits "a" particukar indivual dog. Some raw suits, some it doesn't, same can be said about commercial food

It works out reasonable for those who have suppliers such as Landywoods. Where i live there are no suppliers you have to buy people grade meat from butcher or supermarket. That never bothered me if it had suited however it did work out much more expensive than commercial food.

Having said that we now have one on a prescription diet & that works out very very heavy on the wallet !
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 11:10 AM
I feed predominantly raw and haven't had any problems.

However, lately I have noticed that Loki has become luke warm about his red meaty bones. The same with his breakfast (usually raw minced chicken, beef or lamb, etc.) so I have started lightly cooking his mince. He has never been too keen on raw liver but loves it cooked. I guess it must be the release of juices on cooking, giving it more flavour and I am happy to cook if he prefers it. He still loves his raw dinner though and raw chicken bones too.

As has been said, the best thing for a dog is what suits that individual dog best.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I have this issue with my brother's girlfriend who lives with us, she is constantly going on about how unhygienic it is. However, she cooks meat for herself and my brother, what's the difference? I have a box I keep the raw in to defrost, away from the main kitchen counters. I wash my hands even after rifling in the freezer when I've just been touching the outside of the bags, the dogs get fed bones outside, other meals are in the kitchen where the floor is tiled so I can spray some cleaner and wipe it up, or mop the whole floor. Yes, it takes a little more effort than putting kibble in a bowl but less effort than cooking mince for ourselves where we'll have various utensils that have touched raw meat, different pots and pans, all things we'll use again to cook or eat different meals from.
Hi Karly I rarely eat meat and never chicken and I always handle it with care.
Having a bearded breed brings a whole new meaning to 'contaminated surfaces' and I wash Chloe's beard after she eats some foods like raw chicken.

I feed a whole variety of foods, raw/cooked/and even a tiny bit of kibble having previously fed home cooked food for many years including to a kennel full of dogs.

If I had the space in the freezer I would feed Darlings raw diet food.

What I would never feed is a diet of just kibble, I had to do so once for a short time and was shocked how much water my dog consumed in one go which can't be good for the digestion .
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
This site is aimed at humans not dogs who have a different digestive system. Providing your dog doesn't have any health issues raw mean is easier for a dog to digest than for a human and cooking damages enzymes need to extract nutrients.

Cooking insoluble fibrous veg. does aid breaking down plant cells easing digestion or it will exit the same as it entered.

Cooking starchy foods sufficiently is needed to break the starch down into sugars for dogs as they don't have adequate enzymes for this process.(the reason for lots of problems with cereals).

I must add getting a raw diet balanced within a correct range is more of a problem than the idea of raw feeding.

One size does not fit all so each individual has to find what they can manage to best suit there own dogs.
I'm quite quite aware who the site is aimed at

As I said in my post, dogs are our oldest domesticated pet - and I reckon they've been fed our scraps and leftovers since day one. So I think it's only reasonable to assume they've at least adapted to some degree to eating cooked foods.

If you think otherwise that's fine too.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Karly

Dry Kibble - and was shocked how much water my dog consumed in one go which can't be good for the digestion .
Exactly! Hence why i soak dry kibble. So easy & much easier for the dogs digestion. If you look at a dog on dry kibble after theyve eaten - some will have a "bloated" look. Pre soaked that doesnt happen

Would never feed just dry kibble soaked or otherwise, always add wet food etc
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 02:09 PM
I think in my case raw just isnt practical. We visit my parents alot and taking raw meat with us just wouldnt work.
We struggle for freezer space as it is and wouldnt be able to have a freezer just for the dogs.

The dogs have always been on kibble and tins, and all now are fine, I think iv found a very good diet for them, that suits all of my dogs so as said before I think, 'if it aint broke, dont fix it'
Page 3 of 56 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 > Last »