View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Would I need to take McAfee out of the pcs before installing SP2? It seems to stop a lot of things
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Oooh thanks, I might have a go too if I can reverse it if it goes wrong. Windows crashes rather too frequently at the moment. What about Norton? Do I have to turn that off and I guess I have to install SP2 on both pc and laptop?
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Hard to say whether to remove AV software or not. I would be inclined to check the AV software was up to date, disable (not remove) it just before the install, install, reboot.

Graeme
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Carole
like a system restore if it goes wrong?
you can uninstall it but if you install anything after sp2 it might not work if you have to uninstal the sp2 otherwise normally no problems but the blue tooth stick will only work with sp1 the sp2 has its own driver ( or you might be lucky)and get away with it.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Oooh thanks, I might have a go too if I can reverse it if it goes wrong. Windows crashes rather too frequently at the moment. What about Norton? Do I have to turn that off and I guess I have to install SP2 on both pc and laptop?
if you have norton and sp2 big problem doesn´t work also a big revue on the net about it if you go to the page of norton or microsoft it will explain everything
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by fredsdoghouse
if you have norton and sp2 big problem doesn´t work also a big revue on the net about it if you go to the page of norton or microsoft it will explain everything
Can't say I had a problem. Although I did change from Norton that was because of an issue that I would be surprised affected anyone here.

Graeme
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Graeme
Can't say I had a problem. Although I did change from Norton that was because of an issue that I would be surprised affected anyone here.

Graeme
I install 1 -2 computors a week and build them as well and my son makes programs you can try but with windows xp pro shouldnt have any problem
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Okay I admit it, I really am bad with computers. I meant Windows XP but I assume the advice would be the same.

Sorry for the confusion.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Graeme

Graeme

I run Norton Internet Security - anti-virus and firewall, also have the SP2 update but haven't had any problems what so ever. Haven't even noticed any change since SP2 was installed
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Installing SP2 can cost you a reformat.

When my OH installred it some of his word docs wouldn't open properley (display) acording to microsoft the only real way to uninstall SP2 is to do a full format of the drive even tho system restore will remove it but not all of will be removed according to Microsoft.
The only way around problems with SP2 is to install it first then install all your software on top when this was done all my OH's docs displayed with no problems.

We will have this all again when the 64bit windows is released unless you got pentium cpu's you won't have it cause it don't support 64 bit.

You can get the 64 bit windows free at the moment but it's just bare bones it's got no e email or muti media features also alot more missing but it is fast alot faster that this windows.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2