Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I can't believe that it's been suggested that a lion clip is cruel????

The PWD is worked in it's clip. It is functional and the dogs do not suffer from having it done. I shave poodles faces and feet all the time. They don't mind. I shave dog's inside legs, bellies and testicles and they don't mind. A working or show clip is not detrimental to a dog's wellbeing.

You should see most of the pet dogs that I groom on a daily basis. Gunge caked around the eyes that has to be cut out with scissors, matted fur, over grown nails sometimes embedded in the pads, rotten teeth and obesity are what I deal with on a daily basis. At least people who are 'preening' their dogs for the show ring don't neglect them like this. Time for some perspective I think!
Quite right time for a bit of perspective. Of course everyone should groom and maintain their dogs as well as examining them on a regular basis. However, I fail to see what point there is to shaving testicles, inside of legs and bellies. Can you explain why this is done because I am sure I can see no logic to it whatsoever - I would imagine the dog would not want to go through any sort of rough ground after that.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Quite right time for a bit of perspective. Of course everyone should groom and maintain their dogs as well as examining them on a regular basis. However, I fail to see what point there is to shaving testicles, inside of legs and bellies. Can you explain why this is done because I am sure I can see no logic to it whatsoever - I would imagine the dog would not want to go through any sort of rough ground after that.
Because some breeds such as Shih Tzus, Bichons, Poodles etc. get very knotty and it's uncomfortable to groom their sensitive bits, so they are routinely clipped instead. It's also done for hygiene purposes - toy breeds in particular aren't known for their cleanliness. I'm pretty sure most of my client's dogs are lucky to see grass at all, never mind rough ground. Generally speaking the hair in those areas is wispy and offers little protection, so clipping it off does not affect the dog in any negative way.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
people dont. well crested people certainly dont. its an exxageration just to slate pedigree dog owners yet again. thats what this woman does and enjoys doing.
But what about the breeders website that I found mentioning this? That I find worrying....

And I'm also trying to make out what to think about the whole Jemina Harrison thing, as to me it doesn't matter who wrote it, to me the issue of what might be going on is more important then who wrote it, the fact that I also found it on a breeders website tells me that at least one person does, I'm not saying that everyone does, or thinks that its normal, as people who breed dogs would you put something like that on your site for everyone who will purchase a pup from you to see if you didn't agree that it was acceptable? And to me that is one person too many,

Unless the dog is a "True" Hairless (one with virtually no hair growth on non-extremities), trimming and/or shaving must be performed to remove stubble growth. Many owners use a clipper for the face and ears and to remove any longer growth that was allowed to occur, and then use a variety of methods to achieve complete hair removal of non-extremeties. Commonly used methods include a man's razor and hypoallergenic shaving cream, waxing, and electric razors. Some people have had success with hair removal cream, although one should be sure to apply an amount to a small test area to be sure no adverse reaction occurs.
http://flutterbykennel.com/about.html

I don't know if its a british kennel but I hope not,
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Thank you for that Lokies Mum - It is interesting to see that you have now changed the words from "shave" to "clip". Close shaving any area on a dog is what I am not happy with. I am still not really getting the point about the clipping of genitals, bellies and inside of legs. Surely it is better to educate people to take better care of their dog's hygiene needs. I would have thought that smaller dogs should be easier to keep clean than the bigger hairy ones. Mine could get in a right state if I did not take the time and care to see that they are comfortable (with their hair still on). I do happen to like poodles and if I eventually need to have a smaller breed I think a poodle would fit the bill. I know I would need to have its coat clipped, but I would only clip down to a couple of inches all over (just enough to keep it manageable). Is this called the puppy cut? I probably would not be able to show a dog like this, but that would not matter.

I once had a sheltie for 18 years and he had a very heavy coat. To resort to clipping a sheltie is considered very wrong in the show world and it is not done, so why is it OK for poodles, bichons etc. and considered completely wrong for shelties - they must be one of the hairiest little dogs around. Sometimes they find it difficult to keep their own bits clean and it has to be done for them. Regards
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Clipping the fluff off a hairless I dont have a problem with.

I think that shaving and using dipilatory creams is a bit much. I only base that opinion purely on the fact that having shaved the usual parts of my anatomy and used a hair removing cream also, I know the effect it has on my skin. Still shave which leaves the skin taught n dry depsite using quality shaving cream/foam and stopped using the cream (despite it being a sensitive version) as it left my skin feeling burnt and raw.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Thank you for that Lokies Mum - It is interesting to see that you have now changed the words from "shave" to "clip". Close shaving any area on a dog is what I am not happy with. I am still not really getting the point about the clipping of genitals, bellies and inside of legs. Surely it is better to educate people to take better care of their dog's hygiene needs. I would have thought that smaller dogs should be easier to keep clean than the bigger hairy ones. Mine could get in a right state if I did not take the time and care to see that they are comfortable (with their hair still on). I do happen to like poodles and if I eventually need to have a smaller breed I think a poodle would fit the bill. I know I would need to have its coat clipped, but I would only clip down to a couple of inches all over (just enough to keep it manageable). Is this called the puppy cut? I probably would not be able to show a dog like this, but that would not matter.

I once had a sheltie for 18 years and he had a very heavy coat. To resort to clipping a sheltie is considered very wrong in the show world and it is not done, so why is it OK for poodles, bichons etc. and considered completely wrong for shelties - they must be one of the hairiest little dogs around. Sometimes they find it difficult to keep their own bits clean and it has to be done for them. Regards

Yet you do it yourself in another thread you say you trim ears and feet to help the dog keep clean, so why is it different for you to do it, but not for the reasons Loki`s mum has given

Originally Posted by chaz View Post
But what about the breeders website that I found mentioning this? That I find worrying....

And I'm also trying to make out what to think about the whole Jemina Harrison thing, as to me it doesn't matter who wrote it, to me the issue of what might be going on is more important then who wrote it,

Disagree Chaz, the author of the article is extremely important, because many of us know her true agenda towards pedigree dogs and the show world.

the fact that I also found it on a breeders website tells me that at least one person does, I'm not saying that everyone does, or thinks that its normal, as people who breed dogs would you put something like that on your site for everyone who will purchase a pup from you to see if you didn't agree that it was acceptable? And to me that is one person too many,

http://flutterbykennel.com/about.html

I don't know if its a british kennel but I hope not,
Chaz, the breeders site tells you you "commonly used methods" it does not say that that breeder does it, at all.

if she does, then she is one person, out of thousands who won the breed.

Obviously we cant say what everyone does with their dogs when they prepare them for the ring, all I can say is those I know in the breed , and the people they know dont wax their dogs.

the concept is ludacris... can you really imagine a dog allowing you to do such a thing to it.

Creams , clippers and shavers, are one thing, at will not inflict pain on a dog, waxing is another matter... think about logically.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 12:12 PM
For Jackbox
Yes I do trim my dogs as I said in the other thread. What I do not do is shave my dogs. I clean and tidy them up as necessary to keep them comfortable and healthy - flatcoat ears do get knotty, so I keep them free of tangles by thinning the hair behind the ear. I also clean out the ears regularly, take care of teeth etc. to prevent problems. What I think I am doing for my dogs is routine maintenance grooming to keep them free from discomfort, fleas, ticks and other problems. This I think is very different from shaving half the hair off a dog, (particularly around the genitals) either for hygiene or to get a desired show effect. I would think most people tidy their dogs up as appropriate - I see nothing wrong with this, it makes complete sense. Regards
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I get sick of being plastered in chalk walking past the Bull Terrier ring!
your walking too close to the dogs then Dawn
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 12:25 PM
I must just be a softy then cause I hate to see any of the dogs at shows being choked up on tables to be groomed with a brush never mind anything else
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
I must just be a softy then cause I hate to see any of the dogs at shows being choked up on tables to be groomed with a brush never mind anything else
why do they look distressed.

What about when a dog goes to the groomers, they get put up on th esame tables with the same leads to hold them still, do you also hate the thought of that!!
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 31 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »