Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 09:47 AM

Zena back in an emergency 8 am today!

Oh Christ, just as things were going so well, I have just got back from the vets, having had to take her in at 8 o'clock this morning in an emergency

She was fine up until 5 am this morning Dave said, he let her out and she started vomiting, BUT, it was last night's dinner that came up in lots of different places, so she vomited quite a bit He never bothered to get me up (grrrrr!) He suspected she MIGHT have eaten some poo at 3.00 am when he let her out then, but unlike me, he didn't stand there and watch her just in case, although she hasn't done it for weeks, it's imperative to me that she didn't do it this week after that op!

Anyhooo, when I came downstairs at 7 am. I wasn't greeted with the usual enthusiasm, but he said that's the brightest she had been since 5 am. I took a look at the what was a lovely white wound last night and it is raging red Whether that is because of the vomiting, who knows, but of course it really worried me, so I rang the vets, who told me to bring her straight in.

She gave her an antibiotic jab, some pills for a couple of days, and some of that dark gunk you have to skirt into their mouths. I personally asked for that jab coz I wanted to get something into her immediately, and because of course, she won't eat this morning I was worried having to get pills into her today. I asked her if it was serious and she said, it could be a reaction to the internal stitches (but why so late????!!) or she could have picked up a bug, and when I thought about it, she didn't want to eat when we got back from the vet last night, so maybe she picked something up in there???

She's had more watery diarrhea since we got home, she's feeling very sorry for herself, just lying under the kitchen table, but I asked the vet if I could put some of that Fuciderm on the wound which I have here at home and she said I could, so that's on there now. Oh why can't things just be normal around here, one minute we're up and next we're back to trauma's

I won't pressurise her to eat today, I'm going to wait until she tells me she's hungry, but the vet said it's back on chicken and rice, so I'm cooking it up again.

Hey bladdy ho then, here we go again!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 09:50 AM
is certanly never dull in your house Aitch!

Sending some hugs and woo's to you and Zena.Hoping she picks up soon.

Rachx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 09:57 AM
So sorry to hear this Helena...there is always something to worry about when we have these darlings in our lives, isn't there.

The only thing I can say to try to put your mind at rest a bit is that they would surely have kept her in if they'd thought it was something really serious. I know that you would be worrying about her being poorly even if she hadn't just had her op, its a wonder you haven't gone doolally yet

I always try to get a jab done where possible so that the meds get into their systems sooner, its so difficult to administer tablets if they can't eat/off their food.

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery and (((hugs))) to all of you xx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh Christ, just as things were going so well, I have just got back from the vets, having had to take her in at 8 o'clock this morning in an emergency

She was fine up until 5 am this morning Dave said, he let her out and she started vomiting, BUT, it was last night's dinner that came up in lots of different places, so she vomited quite a bit He never bothered to get me up (grrrrr!) He suspected she MIGHT have eaten some poo at 3.00 am when he let her out then, but unlike me, he didn't stand there and watch her just in case, although she hasn't done it for weeks, it's imperative to me that she didn't do it this week after that op!

Anyhooo, when I came downstairs at 7 am. I wasn't greeted with the usual enthusiasm, but he said that's the brightest she had been since 5 am. I took a look at the what was a lovely white wound last night and it is raging red Whether that is because of the vomiting, who knows, but of course it really worried me, so I rang the vets, who told me to bring her straight in.

She gave her an antibiotic jab, some pills for a couple of days, and some of that dark gunk you have to skirt into their mouths. I personally asked for that jab coz I wanted to get something into her immediately, and because of course, she won't eat this morning I was worried having to get pills into her today. I asked her if it was serious and she said, it could be a reaction to the internal stitches (but why so late????!!) or she could have picked up a bug, and when I thought about it, she didn't want to eat when we got back from the vet last night, so maybe she picked something up in there???

She's had more watery diarrhea since we got home, she's feeling very sorry for herself, just lying under the kitchen table, but I asked the vet if I could put some of that Fuciderm on the wound which I have here at home and she said I could, so that's on there now. Oh why can't things just be normal around here, one minute we're up and next we're back to trauma's

I won't pressurise her to eat today, I'm going to wait until she tells me she's hungry, but the vet said it's back on chicken and rice, so I'm cooking it up again.

Hey bladdy ho then, here we go again!
Oh no H, just when you felt its safe to go back in the water

Bless her, it may be a bug as you say, or infection, guessing game I suppose,

At least he has been seen and given something for it.

Hugs to you all............you need them {{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Oh no poor Zena. Thinking of you both x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm sorry H, how scary! I hope that Zena starts to feel better today.
Hugs.
x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks guys

I've been Googling..... This could be a reaction to those stitches inside, the dissolving ones, coz apparently that can show even weeks after the op, so maybe the vet is right with that one. I'm suspecting some type of bug, and the wreching has caused the redness and swelling of the wound, so let's just hope that won't cause further complications. Oh I do hope Tabs isn't reading this new thread, but hopefully, she's out shopping!

Anyhooo, she's sleeping like a baby now, the ab jab should be kicking in I think, they're usually quicker than the pills aren't they, so hopefully, with some sleep, she'll feel better when she wakes up later. I do miss my little shadow following me about though

Poor little mite, what she has to go through in her first year on earth, I just hope this'll be the end of her trauma's and we can enjoy the rest of her life with no more vet visits.

Thanks again guys, feeling more positive coz she's sleeping and breathing nice and slow and normal.xxxxxxxxx
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 10:58 AM
This is such a mirror image of Zeita Helena!!! She was so sick the night she got home, her wound didn't heal very quickly either as she was allergic to her internal stitches. Also after about 2 1/2 weeks she developed a walnut size lump quite near to the would site, which by then had healed. The vet says that was part of the allergic reaction too . Apparently a lot of dogs are allergic to this kind of stitch , which makes me wonder why they use the

Hope she is better soon xx
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Oh no poor you! Hope Zena is ok now - at least you've acted quickly & hopefully she will recover now.
I was wondering about those internal stitches because Tilly had normal stitches & the wound healed fine, but as it got near to when she was having them out, they started to go red & tender. When I took her to the vets, he showed me the redness was due to the stitches pulling where the wound had healed in between making them tight so it must have been uncomfortable for her. When he snipped the stitches, the 2 pieces of skin kinda fell open & the middle was healed & she yelped in pain. I wasn't given an option on what stitches she would have. But I suppose because I wasn't paying (we had a voucher from the RSPCA)
I've had internal stitches before but they weren't dissolvable - there was a thread sticking out each end & when I had them out they just pulled the whole thread out in one - this was meant minimise scarring & it did work.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by melsgems View Post
This is such a mirror image of Zeita Helena!!! She was so sick the night she got home, her wound didn't heal very quickly either as she was allergic to her internal stitches. Also after about 2 1/2 weeks she developed a walnut size lump quite near to the would site, which by then had healed. The vet says that was part of the allergic reaction too . Apparently a lot of dogs are allergic to this kind of stitch , which makes me wonder why they use the

Hope she is better soon xx
Thanks for that info Mel, it's putting my mind at rest, BUT, Zena was fine and has been ever since the op, too well and bouncy in fact, even though I've tried so desperately to keep her nice and quiet and calm. I am erring on the side of the stitches now, the fact that they're healing and pulling, causing the redness, but it's VERY red and swollen, but then why the sickness and diarrhea, but maybe that's just an added burden for her

Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Oh no poor you! Hope Zena is ok now - at least you've acted quickly & hopefully she will recover now.
I was wondering about those internal stitches because Tilly had normal stitches & the wound healed fine, but as it got near to when she was having them out, they started to go red & tender. When I took her to the vets, he showed me the redness was due to the stitches pulling where the wound had healed in between making them tight so it must have been uncomfortable for her. When he snipped the stitches, the 2 pieces of skin kinda fell open & the middle was healed & she yelped in pain. I wasn't given an option on what stitches she would have. But I suppose because I wasn't paying (we had a voucher from the RSPCA)
I've had internal stitches before but they weren't dissolvable - there was a thread sticking out each end & when I had them out they just pulled the whole thread out in one - this was meant minimise scarring & it did work.
Same here Tillymint, I had no choice regards the stitches, and when he mentioned them prior to the op because of her stress and fear, we both thought it would be a good idea to use them, hence she wouldn't have to go back to have them out kind of thing.

She slept, she went upside down into a real deep sleep, and upside down is usually good isn't it? I always like to think so. She followed me around, but quietly, I took her out for a wee in the garden and she wanted to run about but I had her onlead, so she's perked up a lot, BUT, she's not interested in food, not chicken and rice, not fish and rice, but I'm not going to push it with that, she's been eating so well up to now, and I feel sure she will tell ME when she feels well enough to eat. I managed to get some of that brown yucky paste in her mouth, so maybe that'll help some too. Poor little girl, she's gone back in her bed to sleep now that I've come on here. Breathing is still fine, no panting, so I suspect she's not an emergency, but rest assured, if I suspect she is, then she'll be going back down there pronto!

Thanks again guys, I feel sick myself now but is that any wonder
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »