View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 06:55 PM

Ben(staff x) has lost the power in his back legs (update @ post 86)

Ok I know I am a paranoid mum, but Ben has just been for his walk and had absolutely no interest in running, playing or chasing his ball (Ben lives for his ball) He is laid at my feet with that expression a dog has when it thinks it has been caught doing something it shouldn't be doing.

When he does move he carrys his tail low between his legs and walks sort of as if he is slinking or skulking.

Have checked him over he doesnt appear to be in any pain he did two normal poos when out and widdles as normal. He had a drink when he came in, not excessive. and he ate his food fine today.
He does appear to be a bitwarmer than I am happy with and inside his ears are quite warm as are his feet (but maybe I am being paranoid)

It is unlikely he has eaten anything he shouldnt of, but he is very lethargic and clingy yet he doesnt want to move, doesn't want cuddles and is lying on the carpet and not the sofa

His breathing appears fine, the whites of his eyes are white, and his gums are a healthy pinkish colour.

Am I just worrying over nothing and he is just having an "off" night or does anyone have any suggestions.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Hmmm, sounds like he's maybe just tired? Sometimes Bryan gets like that - he was like it this morning. I thought he was sickening for something too, but when OH came home from work he perked up and we've been for a 3 mile run this evening!

If he's eating/drinking normally and pooping/peeing I don't think a vet would suggest anything other than see how he is tomorrow.

HTH x
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 07:06 PM
L you know your dog better than anyone and I would say keep a close eye on him. It sounds as if everything on a normal health checklist is ok but there is obviously something not quite right. If it was me I would keep him close and any change for the worse ring the vet.

The only time Fudge has any real problems was when she swallowed something and she got an obstruction . She seemed fine but went downhill very quickly so be alert. I know you will be and you know where I am if you need to ring....

Hugs Rx.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Oh poor Ben It doesn't sound like pain Lynne coz his breathing sounds quite normal, and I strongly suspect some type of infection although of course I'm no vet! I don't like the sound of the warmth you say with those ears, neither do I like the sound of that tail and the sullen looks. Can you take his temperature at all and that will tell you lots? That's the first thing I would do if you have a thermometer handy to gently stick up his rear with a bit of vaselene on it? Check inside his mouth too if you can, he might have something stuck in there which is making him sad and uncomfortable. Don't panic yet until you've taken that temperature and don't give him any more to eat tonight just in case. Good luck with him, keep your eye on him as you are doing and see how he goes.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks Sarah, Rach and H. Rach you are right thats what concerns me its really not like him, he has moved from the floor where I lay beside him for a bit and is now in his bed. He is also VERY jumpy at the slightest noise he jumps.

H he was not at all keen on temp taking so didnt want to stress him out did his ear and it just over 39.5 celsius - don't know if that helps at all.

he still feels warm ifno improvement by 9.30 will phone vet and see what they say.

Oh they are such a worry.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 07:38 PM
You say he is jumping at every noise, has something scared him? Is it fear rather than pain. The clinginess and tail down could be that? do you know how to take his pulse?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
You say he is jumping at every noise, has something scared him? Is it fear rather than pain. The clinginess and tail down could be that? do you know how to take his pulse?
Rach I don't know, I have moved all his joints and pushed and prodded and no sign of pain, and he normally yelps if you do something to upset him.

No I don't know how to take his pulse how would I do that
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 07:49 PM
I agree with Rach, I think something has seriously scared him, try and think back to when you left him alone and where and what might have happened hey? That temperature's pretty normal Lynne. Try and think back to when you first noticed this and where Ben had been it might point to something? Have you checked him all over that he hasn't got something "stuck" on him somewhere, check out his trousers! I once had a dog who had a great big stag beetle clinging to his fluffy pants and he went like this!!! Check him ALL over Lynne just to make sure, but something has definitely scared him big time, but I don't know what to suggest for that. Ring the vet later if you're still worried though and good luck.xxxx
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks Rach 100 beats per min 25 in 15 seconds BUT he just let outthe most appalling Yelp for no reason, not when I was taking pulse. OH trying to get through to vet.
Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »