Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2014, 01:24 PM

Really don't know

I really don't know what breed of dog my husband and I will settle on for our second dog. We are open to any dog that is great with kids, other dogs and pets. We are looking into rehoming or going to the local Humane Society. I am not even sure of the age we plan on getting as we are open to whoever needs a home.

I have been researching pit bulls and their mixes and I guess I have been brainwashed because I am hesitant on getting one because of all the negativity. I have a 4-year-old daughter, though have heard pittys are great with kids. I got a fabulous book on Pit Bulls and it really sheds some light on the breed. I also found a video on the Breedia website on Pit Bulls and it was wonderful. I guess I write this to kind of organize my thoughts. Any advice or thoughts are welcome!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Just my personal take but I wouldn't go for such a powerful and potentially boisterous dog with a 4 yr old in the house.

I'm VERY biased but my CKCS made a perfect pet for my daughter (mind you she was 8yrs then, not 4) I wouldn't recommend CKCSs for homes with very young children who might 'pull the dog about'. As Cavvies would probably just put up with it, being totally non aggressive. Same reason I wouldn't recommend a huge powerful dog in those circumstances - kids might pull it about (or try to)
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Jcarpentier View Post
...[snip]... I also found a video on the Breedia website on Pit Bulls and it was wonderful.
Could you please give a link to that video?

Thanks.
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2014, 03:09 PM
I think you're definitely looking in the right direction for a rescue dog if you're not to sure on a breed. I have no knowledge on Pit bulls myself but I do know many people elsewhere who own them and they can't sing their praises high enough. I think if you are clear to the shelter what you're looking for they will be able to match you to the right dog. Would also help if you go to a shelter that uses foster homes to assess their dogs as that will give you more of an accurate account of the dogs personality.
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2014, 08:42 PM
http://www.indiegogo.com/pitproud

There is the link to the video I watched. It is great!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Really is great,enjoyed that,thanks