Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-01-2007, 10:04 AM

Dog abuse?

Not sure if this is the right forum to post in, so please feel free to move if necessary.

Our downstairs neighbour has 'adopted' another neighbours dog. From what i gather, the previous owner was told he couldnt keep a dog, and so gave it to our downstairs neighbour.

When they first took him in, he spent most of the time locked in a cage outdoors. We had a chat with them (they had never owned a dog before) and the cage is now permanently unlocked, dog has free roam of a relatively large garden. However, he ALWAYS has free roam i.e. he never comes in doors. He has no shelter, his bed is a duvet on the floor (with englands recent weather, you can imagine what state this is in), they appear to just feed him by slinging him cans of dog food (I assume this is the case, as the downstairs communal hallway window is always open, and there is a pile of dog food cans below this window).

What I am unsure of though, is does count as cruelty? The dog is outside all the time (some would argue that's where dogs are meant to be) but its the lack of shelter that bothers me, and in the cold winter nights, im not convinced he can really be warm.

We spoke with the RSPCA when it was originally kept in a cage (in the height of summer, with no water). They came over, and said there was nothing they could do. So what do we do?

Is it fine for the dog to be kept like this?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2007, 10:19 AM
IMO most certainly not. I've also found the RSPCA to be little short of useless.

Can you speak to the owners again regarding this poor dog's welfare? I really feel for it.

It's NOT an acceptable way to treat a dog, and I know you already feel this way, hence your post.

Keep us informed please - and good luck
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2007, 10:21 AM
An animal is supposed to have food water and shelter, if there is no shelter, as appears to be the case, then they are not providing adequate care. There can also be a case for 'abandonment' this doesnt have to mean literal dumping of the dog but just leaving it all day without adequate water, food and shelter.
Can the dog not go 'missing'?
Becky
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2007, 10:33 AM
I think it's far from fine to be keepng a dog like this. I struggle to understand what the point in people like this having a dog is. You feed and care for your dog and he/she pays you back with his/her company and companionship. Sounds to me like this person took the dog on a whim and now can't be bothered with it. Hopefully someone will take some action.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2007, 10:50 AM
I don't know what the circumstances were regarding this but it sounds like your neighbours don't even want the dog. If you are able to talk to them, perhaps try and persuade them to give the dog up to be rehomed.
The RSPCA are not my flavour of the month as the times I have called them they are not particularly helpful. However I do realise that they have to work within the rules and the dog has to be in a certain state before they can intervene.
If you are left with no option then keep calling them to come out. Obviously you don't want a war with your neighbours. If you can talk to them then take that road. Hopefully they might see sense and do what's right for the dog.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Would it be worth getting in touch with the local Dog Warden? The pile of tins could become a sanitary issue attracting rats so maybe they could do something. Hopefully neighbour may be willing to hand the dog over to a rescue?

Anne
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the quick replies!

Girlfriend is going to try and talk to them today - from memory, them taking the dog on was only meant to be temporary. She is going to 'suggest' that maybe other people can look after the dog better, and provide it the care and attention it needs.

Also put a call into the dog warden on the pest control angle - currently out and about so will let you know what he says when he gets back to me

Thanks!
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2007, 01:25 PM
RSPCA are more than useless - and will never ever get my support :X I was once asked when someone brought rats to me if I was affiliated with any real rescue charities - like the RSPCA - and I said no... I would like to think I know more about my animals than that!

I would call environmental health that tends to d othe trick they seem to be far far better than the RSPCA.

xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2007, 01:45 PM
I agree, pester the RSPCA, the dog warden and most of all the Environmental Health Dept. at your local council, they don't like things like this at all and will send someone out, hopefully.

You must have seen that RSPCA ad, where that poor wretched black lab was sitting out in the garden in the pouring rain feeling miserable, and the nice kind RSPCA lady comes and wraps a big blanket around him? Then they ask for our money!! I haven't had any good experiences with them either with horse problems, but they still get my money coz they do help in some instances, not many, but if things are desperate enough they can.

Please let us know what is happening, you're a star!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2007, 02:26 PM
I only hope that getting Environmental Health involved because of the H&S aspect of leaving dog cans strewn about does not result in them ceasing to feed the poor animal
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >