Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SomersetWestie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-12-2010, 11:08 PM

Smelly Westie

Tilly is 16 months old now and, even just two or three days after being bathed she is smelly even when dry.
I know this can often be linked with diet - she eats cooked chicken breast mixed with dry roasted chicken flavour mixer in the morning and just the dry mixer with water at night.
Our new 3 month old Westie pup has exactly the same food and he doesn't smell. Any ideas?
Thanks

Robin
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 01:11 AM
What type of smell is it, can you define it?

If it were me I would have the dog checked over by the vet. There are a few skin conditions which can cause this sort of problem and most are easily cleared up with the appropriate treatment
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Just a thought but he is only getting mixer and chicken so no complete and no variety. There could be an 'imbalance' or deficiency in his diet. I found Arden Grange did this to my dog (horrible smell), I switched to raw feeding and that stopped the smell. If your not up for raw feeding then maybe trying a complete foods will help.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Just a thought but he is only getting mixer and chicken so no complete and no variety. There could be an 'imbalance' or deficiency in his diet. I found Arden Grange did this to my dog (horrible smell), I switched to raw feeding and that stopped the smell. If your not up for raw feeding then maybe trying a complete foods will help.
Doesn't do it to mine and I have five dogs and a cat on it. I agree that his diet could be deficient though.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 02:47 PM
As you know WHWT are prone to skin problems:

Has the vet checked your dog out for:

full anal glands, these usually smell fishy................
Malezzessia (this is a yeast overgrowth which leaves a very distinctive smell)
Ears checked?

I am suspecting the second due to the fact that you feeding a meal of pure carbohydrates in the evening and this as you know converts to sugar which feeds yeast.

It is easy enough to find out.

I would feed your dogs a good "complete" food, to minimise dietary imbalance, your current one appears suspect to me.

HTH
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Doesn't do it to mine and I have five dogs and a cat on it. I agree that his diet could be deficient though.
What dosnt do what?
or do you mean Arden Grange? If so it still did it to mine. All dogs are different, you could have one hundred dogs do ok on one thing but if no 101 isnt doing well on it it needs something else.

I agree with Smokeybear, if its a yeasty smell it could be the carb heavy meals and think longterm a complete food would be better than mixer.

My cats also developed bald patches on both Arden Grange and JWB.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
What dosnt do what?
or do you mean Arden Grange? If so it still did it to mine. All dogs are different, you could have one hundred dogs do ok on one thing but if no 101 isnt doing well on it it needs something else.

My cats also developed bald patches on both Arden Grange and JWB.
Sorry, didn't make it clear, yes I was referring to Arden Grange. Just trying to balance the picture as, to the uninitiated, your post could be misleading.
rob6852
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Tilly is fed with a complete dog food not just a mixer and chicken as in the first post , sorry a small mistake, also some chicken or fish, her skin is really very good nothing wrong there and her anal gland are done evry eight or nine weeks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Originally Posted by rob6852 View Post
Tilly is fed with a complete dog food not just a mixer and chicken as in the first post , sorry a small mistake, also some chicken or fish, her skin is really very good nothing wrong there and her anal gland are done evry eight or nine weeks

No healthy dog needs their anal glands emptied at this level of frequency, and the more you empty them the more they need to be.

So why the need?
rob6852
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Its done when they go for grooming, but two vets have said dogs can differ, so if its not the anal glands, food or skin allergy what else might it be, the two pups are always licking and washing each other and playing?

we are still in the thought stage
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >