Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 01:18 PM

Yeast infections

I have been reading about yeast infections. It has been interesting, but also quite confusing anyone know much about them? Causes and treatments?

I read an article where the writer was saying that yeast infections are often misdiagnosed, and that they can take a while to find out what exactly causing them. She also suggests getting a thyroid test done... It sounds like a complicated process to find out the exact cause...

Would be interested in hearing peoples experiences and/or information on them.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I have been reading about yeast infections. It has been interesting, but also quite confusing anyone know much about them? Causes and treatments?

I read an article where the writer was saying that yeast infections are often misdiagnosed, and that they can take a while to find out what exactly causing them. She also suggests getting a thyroid test done... It sounds like a complicated process to find out the exact cause...

Would be interested in hearing peoples experiences and/or information on them.

Look here:

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter...d-it-be-yeast/
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Finn suffers from yeast infections in his feet and ears quite a lot Malaseb usually keeps his yeasty feet under control and a sprinkling of thornit in his ears every so often seems to help. His infections are mostly due to allergies, mild allergy to storage mites and a bigger reaction from alternaria mould.

I started giving him 1g of ester c daily and I have noticed a big difference in his skin. No idea if the change is linked to the ester c or just coincidence.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Look here:

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter...d-it-be-yeast/
Thanks for the link That is an interesting read, especially the bit about vaccinations possibly causing allergies! I have been reading about yeast infections coz I suspect Jake has one, and he has allergies… he has been fine for over a year now though, and is on a raw diet (which I learnt about due to his allergies to grains). The bit about yeast infections being caused by the food a dog eats is interesting, but I hope that isn’t the case with Jake coz of his diet… the only thing I can think of is, I will confess, that he gets occasional biscuits… they get rationed though, so its not something I thought would have been enough to cause this but maybe it is… although, this is different from how his allergies were when they started, so that maybe coz it is something different causing them…

Is there anything else that causes yeast infections, or is it mainly down to allergies?

Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Finn suffers from yeast infections in his feet and ears quite a lot Malaseb usually keeps his yeasty feet under control and a sprinkling of thornit in his ears every so often seems to help. His infections are mostly due to allergies, mild allergy to storage mites and a bigger reaction from alternaria mould.

I started giving him 1g of ester c daily and I have noticed a big difference in his skin. No idea if the change is linked to the ester c or just coincidence.
Thanks Carole. I have been reading up on it, coz I think that is what Jake has and I am worried it is caused by allergies. He is going to the vets, but not until Saturday morning so I am wanting to read and learn as much as I can.

I am not sure what it is with him though, after reading I am pretty sure it is a yeast infection that he has got (will need to vet to confirm that though)… especially coz it has a cheesy smell. He has allergies, but they have been fine for over a year. Last time though, he was losing fur around his face, and getting sores that bled so quite different to how it is just now. He went on an elimination diet, and the conclusion was that he is allergic to grains. He has since been on a raw diet, and hasn’t had a problem for over a year… then on Saturday, I noticed he has something going on with his skin on his back and under his legs.

I suspect it is an allergy (I am hoping and praying it isn’t though) but I am not sure if it likely to be another food allergy (but can they suddenly start after been ok for so long??) or something in the environment…
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:52 AM
I just wanted to update. I read about apple cider vinegar and how it is apparently great for yeast infections, so i have been using it on Jake since Friday. I cancelled his vets appointment to see how well it would work, and it is working amazingly! It is all nearly cleared up I will be keeping a bottle handy around this time of year incase it is an allergy to something since it is summer!