Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 06:40 PM

Think Lily nearly Bloated tonight

I have luckily never seen bloat, but Lily was eating her food tonight when she suddenly walked away from it into the corner of the hall with her head down low looking like she was going to be sick. Then I saw her tummy sort of blowing up, it was happening so quickly and she looked in a lot of discomfort
I remembered when I used to take Shady to hydrotherapy the hydrotherapist used to massage her tummy half way through and at the end as she said some dogs gulp air in the pool and can bloat but massaging in the right place can get them to burp if they are getting a gassy tummy
I quickly started rubbing her tummy and she let out a burp and went back to normal.
I know how urgent bloat is and rest assured if after a minute she was still getting worse I would have slung her in the car and rushed to the vet.
Do you think this was bloat? It has shaken me up and I have been too scared to give her the rest of her food.
I am now dreading feeding her tomorrow
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 06:43 PM
What a nasty scare for you, and thank goodness you knew about the tummy rubbing thing.........another thank goodness that it worked.

I expect that you already feed Lily at head height, and the exercise immediately after doesn't apply does it because she blew up mid meal.

If you are worried about it happening in future, is it possible to split her meals into about four small ones throughout the day?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 06:45 PM
No, if it was bloat she would have continued to expand.

I have been unfortunate enough to experience 1 bloat and 2 torsions.

Dogs can and do swallow air, like us, eg after swimming as said.

The best advice I can give is a) to measure her around the middle and then keep measuring her if you think she is bloating b) keep some simethicone in your FA box eg Windeze or Infacol c) if she is bloating give her one of these and rush to vet.

Simethicone is given in the US (called Gas Aid) and is routinely given to cattle. It cannot hurt, and may help.

It is scary, but torsion WITHOUT bloat is even scarier.........

Also be aware that latest research contra indicates feeding from raised bowls.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 07:28 PM
What a scare Bev, this is my biggest nightmare too As you know, I've been in the position of late where I'm dreading mealtimes, I've been frightened to feed Zena, but touch wood, all has been fine for 2 weeks now.

Why don't you do what I do and make up the meal in one bowl, and just keep putting a small amount spread out on another plate or bowl, so that she can't gulp it down with air, it could help?

I read somewhere about that tummy rubbing, and I seem to remember you rub it in a circular motion, but it HAS to be the right way round, which I can't remember which way that is!

All the best Bev, one thing after another with us isn't it, but try my method, I'm sure it will stop any gulping of air.
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2011, 08:13 PM
How scary for you both...glad alls well now though...

Agree with SB.

I have had experience of 2 bloat and 2 torsion (all separate events)...the 2nd bloat and torsion took my vet 3 and a half hours to surgically fix and she was in the vets for 3 days...so I can totally understand you being frightened of the next meal you give...

sadly there is much contradictory advice about wet/dry/soaked food and raised feeding bowls...tried all different scenarios and still ended up at the vets with the poor woofs...I think it comes down to own personal thoughts...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Glad to hear Lily seems on the mend now Bev.

Keep an eye on her which of course I know you will. I always kept a bottle of Gaviscon with Ollie as advised by his breeder a teaspoon can give you vital minutes.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 08:28 PM
No, if it was bloat you wouldve known about it. I lost my weim 18 months ago to torsion, it was the most horrendous thing i have ever experienced.
Sadie my GSD has also bloated twice now, we have got away without surgery so far. It is something you dont truly realise what it is like until you have a dog that has bloated- you can physically see them expanding- or at least i could.

Also, when i lost my weim i did ALOT of research into it and never once came across any evidence of a grey suffereing from it, though they are deep chested i think it is in fact, very very rare if not unheard of? (i dont know this for definite, maybe someone could correct if i am wrong)
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Scary! Glad she's alright now :S
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
No, if it was bloat you wouldve known about it. I lost my weim 18 months ago to torsion, it was the most horrendous thing i have ever experienced.
Sadie my GSD has also bloated twice now, we have got away without surgery so far. It is something you dont truly realise what it is like until you have a dog that has bloated- you can physically see them expanding- or at least i could.

Also, when i lost my weim i did ALOT of research into it and never once came across any evidence of a grey suffereing from it, though they are deep chested i think it is in fact, very very rare if not unheard of? (i dont know this for definite, maybe someone could correct if i am wrong)

I am afraid that GDV is very common in Weimaraners...............
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-06-2011, 09:10 PM
It can be a right old scare.

You may or may not remember Breagh's Bloat / GDV emergency a few years back.

She still 'inhales' her food but I lift it and put it back down so she has her meal at my pace in 3 short goes (watery eyes and burp breaks) making sure her air is up.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >