Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 08:41 PM

Icon really does have severe Seperation anxiety

Icon literally cannot be left for 5 mins now. Pens won't work, I'm searching for another job so I'm only 9-5. I would save money on travel. Also looking into letting my friend live with me who would help me out with him.....

I just feel so low, I don't know how to cope he destoryed my fridge earlier

Please help me, I need something radical FAST! -My whole family want me to rehome him, I don't want to do that, I adore him, he's my angel. But he's changing in front of my eyes and I don't know how to stop that from happening xx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 09:00 PM
oh sweetie

i really dont know what to suggest - didnt want to read and run,..

hope someone else can offer something more helpful

hugsxxx
Teddysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2008, 09:28 PM
I've just been looking back over some of your previous posts. I don't really know what you want to hear. You say you've tried everything, you're in rented accomodation, he's destroying your house, he sits and barks at you, crating is not an option, and you can't afford a creche.

What can we tell you. Please don't think I'm being harsh but if you have to work all day then what answer is there.

As an outsider to your situation, I'm thinking of the dog who is clearly miserable. He's craving company and is clearly bored. I know you say you love him but when you say that you are thinking of your feelings. Stop, just for a minute and think of his. You said in a previous post 'he is changing in front of my eyes'. Of course he is, he's growing up and growing dogs need stimulation and a certain amount of company. He's not getting enough from you and you have to ask yourself what is right for him and not you. I know it hurts and I know you are miserable but so is he by the sounds of it.

I love my dogs to bits and couldn't bear to part with them but I if I were in your situation and really had no other option to explore then I would do what is right for my dogs regardless of my emotions.

I wish you luck.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Dalmatians and males in particular are very demanding especially as youngsters and they crave attention, wanting to be with people and other dogs all the time or they DO become destructive. If I am working full time I ensure that they are somewhere safe, with other dogs, and are stimulated for most of the day; ditto if I have to be out for any significant length of time. I don't believe that it would work if I got home for an hour in the middle of the day, they simply wouldn't tolerate it and I wouldn't blame them.
It's very hard but thinking about what is best for the dog is going to be the best solution for him. When I helped on Welfare many "rescues" came from good caring homes where there had been a change of circumstances, either work or domestic - it happens - and they felt it best to let the dog go where it would have the life it deserved rather than be left at home all day miserable. Such people were not condemned and the dogs concerned went straight to their new homes where they settled in very quickly and never looked back.
Is there somewhere he can go on a temporary basis so you can think clearly about your options? And his? Also consider discussing it with Welfare, they are there for advice and help not exclusively re-homing.
Thinking of you both.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 05:51 AM
Good advice from both Teddysmum and Deccy, Lorna.
Unless you can get someone to share your property fairly quickly, Icon will continue to be miserable, and show his unhappiness in destructive attention seeking.

Can you foster him out, temporarily?

Hugs honey - I know how hard this is for you xxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-05-2008, 06:21 AM
I am so sorry Lorna. I have to agree with the others.
You have to do something quick now for his sake and your peace of mind.
I really hope a quick solution and one that suits you both is out there.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Sorry to read your thread, but also agree with others. Icon has been through alot too, at such a young age also.
I think the problems you have had, domestic wise, emotional wise and moving have had a big effect on you(reading your previous posts on your feeling over your ex... etc.,) but I feel that they have had double the effect on Icon, he is young and sounds like he's unhappy too.
Have you tried getting anyone who could walk him or as suggested Foster.........but I think really you need to think long and hard about his feeling. I wish you all the luck xxxxxxxxxxx
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm sorry... but this post sends up a RED FLAG with me... How old was Blue, when you rehomed him? It seems to me all your problems starts and ends with your partners...

I don't have a partner, because I don't think anyone would fit the bill... I have parrots and dogs... and I love them all to bits... No man or woman will change my mind on that.

Sorry to be so negative..

Cheers

Lene
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:18 AM
I was just wondering about one thing: Have you tried clicker training????

Cheers
Lene
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Lene View Post
I'm sorry... but this post sends up a RED FLAG with me... How old was Blue, when you rehomed him? It seems to me all your problems starts and ends with your partners...

I don't have a partner, because I don't think anyone would fit the bill... I have parrots and dogs... and I love them all to bits... No man or woman will change my mind on that.

Sorry to be so negative..

Cheers

Lene
Originally Posted by Lene View Post
I was just wondering about one thing: Have you tried clicker training????

Cheers
Lene
Red flag- in what sense- what are you implying exactly?

Yes I've tried clicker training - I've had dogs for 14 years! Blue had to be rehomed because my marriage (not just a relationship!) ended and it was definately the best thing for her as I literally had no where to live. Icon is different - I have a house, I have gardens, I've spent a fortune on making sure I'm in the right place for him. I'm struggling because of the hours I'm working at the moment. In an ideal world I would be able to stay home all day everyday. But I have to live - this world is not created for young people who live alone. I have applied for loads of jobs since all this has started nearby, so that I can come home during the day to walk him and not have to travel so far.

I am not rehoming him unless I have exhausted everything, which right now I don't feel I have.

I've just brought his crate back in, and I have settled it into my living room. He likes this room much more. I've given him his breakfast in it, and a kong in it. I'm going to start some exercises today, where everytime I open the front door, I'm going to click and treat him. Then I'll open the door and walk out and straight back in....etc etc etc.

I have to find a way around this, my photography business is in the middle of being set up, my master bedroom is large enough for me to have a photography studio which was another big plus with this house. I'm waiting for the man who used to have Icon when I was at work to call me back, I'm hoping I can come to some arrangement about him, even if it means that two days a week he goes to creche and two days a week my brother, or a friend to walk him during the day.

I wake up first thing in the morning to make sure he has a two hour walk before work. I adore this dog with all my heart, I know this is my fault, but I'm not trying to ignore it.

I knew re homing Blue was for the best, I adored her, and I miss her everyday. As much as some may judge me. I love my animals. We will find a way to deal with this. Rehoming would be a last resort.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >